What will the immediate available will be like?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fzang, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Availability*

Thinking about going to Hongkong or Japan and combining a trip with a new MacBook sometime in December/January.

Do you think demand will outstrip supply for weeks and months like with iPhones, or will it be available pretty much from day one? Would be a shame to travel so far for nothing. Currently the Japanese website says "shipping: 4-5 weeks".

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

3. dekka007hk macrumors member

I live in HK. The apple stores are not expecting touchbar models for sometime.

December I would say unlikely. Jan possibly for walkins.

And Japan would be slower than HK and different keyboard.

4. ocgirl macrumors regular

ocgirl

Why do you think so late in January ? If you compare to the iphone, there is still some availibility on day one - although limited in numbers - so I expect it to be the same in stores.

During the keynote they said avalibility would be in 4-5 weeks, which rounds up to about beginning of December. If you are lucky, you should get one in December...

5. nomoresecrets macrumors member

Just got back from my local Apple Store in NJ. They had one 13" non-touch on display. I spoke to a few people there and they had no idea when they would be getting them for walk-ins. It's a total guess, but I early to mid-December is probably when the stores will get shipments for sale.

6. ocgirl macrumors regular

ocgirl

I guess so too, it's Christmas season ... that would be a huge marketing fail to have them available in January IMHO.

7. Fzang thread starter macrumors 65816

Fzang

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess taking a trip on this side of Christmas might be a tad risky. Availability might drop additionally due to Christmas sales.

I Guess I'll plan something sometime in the spring :)

8. nomoresecrets macrumors member

You should be able to pick one up before Christmas. There are always stories about extremely limited supplies of new products when they are released that seem to be a little overblown. While I know they produce way more iPhones for launch than MacBook Pros, I was able to pick up an iPhone 7 Plus the weekend it went on sale without a preorder.