What will the iPad not do? (as a computer)

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by johntommybob, Oct 27, 2010.

1. johntommybob macrumors member

I plan to purchase an iPad. The rep at the local Apple store told me the iPad was really designed to work with a computer. Unfortunately, if that is true, it will not work with mine, which is an old G4 running OS 10.4.11. While that is out of date, I doubt a new faster computer would do any better on dial-up than it does.

I want the 3G 16GB version of iPad, primarily because it will allow me to get DSL service, which is not available any other way where I live.

So what I want to know, basically, is why does it require a separate computer?
    What is it the iPad will not do?

2. sportster macrumors 6502

You use the computer to sync your music/movies/pictures on it. Plus the computer backs up and keeps the iOS updated.

Not, sure what all else. But, I don't think it's required. But it is recommended.

3. iCole macrumors regular

I don't hook it up often on my macbook. It will never replace your G4 since you can't really print decent via iPad, it doesn't have much space, it can't multitask yet, you can't really torrent very easy (well you can but not that easy as with a computer), you can't access some sites, you can't do advanced photo editing, you can't build sites on it, you can't program on it, you can't webcam on it, you can't make movies with it, ... etc :eek:

But you don't really need to hook it up to your G4 to get it working (except for the first time). If you want to update it, just go to a friend. You can't take backups, and you can't put stuff like movies and comics and music on it.

4. johntommybob thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. My G4 is pretty long in the tooth. I'm also thinking of buying a Macbook pro to replace it, but not sure when. I may wait for the new model.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The iPad must be activated by a computer running OSX 10.5.8 or later. Now, it is possible to have the Apple store activate the iPad for you before you take it home (or bring them one to activate that you bought elsewhere), but when you take it out of the box, you will have to connect it to iTunes before you can use it.

If you do have the store activate it, you will be able to use it to most of its potential with some limitations. You will be able to buy and install apps, music, movies, books etc. You won't be able to back up your data or update the software.

Up to you whether you can live with that or not.

Edit: You could also upgrade to Leopard if you could find the disks, and then manage it from your own computer.