iPhone X What will the iPhone 5G be able to do that I can't do now on my iPhone X with LTE?

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Apr 11, 2014
USA
There's this huge hype for 5G and I'm wondering why? I mean I don't care if my iMessage gets sent .2 seconds faster...

mprime_17

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2018
It will make your dinner!

The point, AFAIK is low latency, instant connections between everything and all that.
I dont think much people will notice the improvement as the only one that's been advertised is higher speed... which is the same thing we had from precious jumps (2g --> 3g --> 4g).

I bet there is a thread like this but when 4G was announced lol

lol there is!
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/why-is-4g-a-big-deal.1388415/

StellarVixen

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2018
Earth
It's the progress for the sake of progress. That is all.

The benefits of 5G might not be obvious right now, but they might become more obvious in the future.

Can you imagine streaming 1440p HDR video on 3G? Me neither. Does the 3G downloading time feels slow now that we got used to the LTE speeds? Yes, it does.

But back in 2011-2012, no one even thought of using cellular data to stream ultra high definition videos. And for people 3G was already fast enough, just like 5G is now fast enough. I bet that people will find 4G slow once they get used to 5G.

Give it time, and we will see what is it actually good for.

Reactions: AppleHaterLover

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Apr 11, 2014
USA
i mean i totally understand if people wanna watch 4k content i’m guessing 5G would be the go to connection.

And i’m all for the sake of progress.

i was jw if there was anything else to it.

I’m on wifi when I’m streaming videos much of the time anyway.

Jimmy James

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I find LTE fast enough. More speed adds the dilemma of blowing out my data plan when I accidentally click a video or it auto loads on a web page.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
No need to worry about 5G for a couple of years. The chinese company that makes most of the 5G equipment is meeting resistance on getting it imported. The industry should find another manufacturer.

Last edited:

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Apr 11, 2014
USA
No need to worry about 5G for a couple of years. The ch8nese company that makes most of the 5G equipment is meeting resistance on getting it imported. The industry should find another manufacturer.
Just out of curiosity, are you using coded language and why? Lol.

If not never mind just my own mind playing tricks. It’s late here.

ericg301

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
So instead of Wi-Fi???
instead of getting internet from cable or fiber optic, 5G promise to deliver speeds 100x faster, over the air. will still take 5-10 years to become mainstream, but that's where the industry is heading.

yes, it will be nice over mobile, but the true benefit will be in home's and office's.

and that's why the wireless companies are jumping all over this.

TheIntruder

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2008
instead of getting internet from cable or fiber optic, 5G promise to deliver speeds 100x faster, over the air. will still take 5-10 years to become mainstream, but that's where the industry is heading.

yes, it will be nice over mobile, but the true benefit will be in home's and office's.

and that's why the wireless companies are jumping all over this.
It will be interesting to what kind of business model the Telco oligarchy comes up with to extract more money from users, especially if they plan to deprecate wired home internet service like they've surreptitiously done with POTS. "Umm sorry, the quality of your old lines won't support higher speeds, why don't you sign up for our (more expensive) super speedy 5G home internet?"

"Can't happen," some might say. Well, the music industry has found that consumers will readily pay to rent music, instead of owning it, by danging the variety carrot in front of people. A nice, continuous revenue stream, no need to pay overhead for producing media, reduced delivery expense (consumers share the burden of transport cost), at minimal additional incremental cost for each song or artist. Not quite the "pay per play" nirvana it dreams of, but closer than before.

People are already conditioned to accept that wireless service is sold by the bucket, capped and throttled. Shifting wired home service to that model would be a dream. Not quite the old Ma Bell "every minute is accounted for" metered model, but closer. The fast, unmetered (albeit sometimes capped), dumb pipe home internet service is something they'd dearly love to get rid of. The hyped promise of ultra-fast 5G everywhere is the potential tool to get that door open.

Qualcomm and the telcos didn't fly a bunch of journalists over to Hawaii for nothing. The former wants to sell more wireless chips, and the latter sees a way to shift the business model more to their liking. Getting journalists to write a bunch of flowery, as yet unfulfilled hype about 5G will surely pay benefits, especially since most people don't bother to read between the lines.