What will the MBP updates mean to everyday users?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alleyoop, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Alleyoop macrumors member

I have had Macs since 1995, but I still am not familiar with things such as Arrandale i5 and i7, NVIDIA and the other upgrades people are hoping for on the rumored updates on the MBP's.

I am just wondering what these updates will mean for somebody who doesn't do intense things like gaming, music and video editing, etc.

I simply browse the web, use Excel, Dreamweaver, Word, Photoshop, a little iTunes, etc. Nothing that my Powerbook G4 can't handle.

My screen is cracked and need something new bad, but not sure if waiting to get the updated MBP is worth it to me. How will these possible upgrades affect someone like me? I feel like I should wait, but mot sure why!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Absolutely nothing.

3. LastZion macrumors 6502a

If you can't wait for the update and you are just an everyday user you will not notice the difference. The only reason you should hang on and wait is for the end of this new computers use for you. Waiting for the update will give you a computer "worth more" and "more capable"... but if you use a computer until it dies, then I wouldn't sweat it. Although that update SURELY must be just around the corner...

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

My rule of thumb is always to buy when I need it, not just when I want it
    Although I don't always listen to myself :)

With a rumored update this close, I would say wait it out
    You seem to be doing OK and don't have a pressing need

The new specs won't likely change your life, but it will put you on the next level of the playing field

Just my 2¢
    Good luck!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Based on what you do, the current generation is more than enough for your needs.

Any newer systems will be faster systems, but you might not even notice the difference.

However, since it sounds like you keep your systems for a long time, it probably doesn't hurt you to wait to get whatever the newer generation might offer. But if you need a system TODAY, nothing wrong with what is out there.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

There's nothing there which the current MBP couldn't handle with ease. It might be worth waiting if you can because when the new models are released you will be able to save yourself a fair amount of money buying a current model at clearance price.

7. PAC88 macrumors 6502

means they will be getting more for there money. buying the current one is far from being ripped off but it's definitely not a good deal in my eyes.

8. robotkiller macrumors 6502

robotkiller

From a practical standpoint, nothing. I do the same type things on my Macbook and reserve the heavy lifting to my i7 iMac. That said, I simply cannot make myself pay over $2000 on a computer with obselete tech. I just can't do it. Also, I like to eBay my old equipment and a C2D's future resale value (ie 2 years or more from today) is probably going to plummet once the new iCores come out.