What will the mMP look like? Show us!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by s-hatland, Apr 7, 2017.

1. s-hatland, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017

s-hatland macrumors regular

s-hatland

So everyone seems to be in a pretty good mood this week, i thought we could maybe get creative! I'd like to see your visions of what you think the new mac pro might look like, or how you'd like to see it. you know apples gotta put a little style into it, so lets get crazy. from 3d renders to sketches on a napkin, let's see it! I don't even care if they're LOGICAL (mine probably isn't) lets throw it at the wall and see what sticks. who knows, maybe someone at apple might get a few ideas seeing how they're basically just starting?

I'll break the ice with this one. i'm no good at 3D, so these are just photoshop drawings, and a basic layout was done in indesign. Basically, i took the "modular" term (which seems so popular these days) and leaned toward the more literal side of the definition. basically, you get a "base" system with 1 CPU, 1 GPU, 4 m.2, 4 DDR4, PSU and an extra PCIe slot for whatever you like. then you can stack (likely TB) modules such as a PCI cage or a RAID/storage module. perhaps 3rd party vendors could come up with even more? The layout pic has a few more specifics and a comparison to the cMP

mMPcolored.jpg
    mMPstack.jpg mMPlayout.jpg

your turn.... :)

EDIT: took my "layout" plans and photochopped what it could look like, all stacked and... shiny.

mMPinsidesstacked.jpg

2. jjjoseph macrumors 6502

You know Apple Engineers fallow these sites, you might of just showed them what its going to look like. xD

3. s-hatland thread starter macrumors regular

s-hatland

that's why i think we should all get our ideas out in the proverbial ether :D

4. jjjoseph macrumors 6502

I think the problem is HOW are these going to Link together? What type of connection.. I think the PciE type Interconnect, with gold foil won't fly. I think Apple will really PUSH TB3. So in that case the modular, might be more a bunch of cubes on a desk. Or they stack on top with TB3? Also bandwidth wise PciE is still 3x faster than TB3. So you will only be able to do 1 thing at a time.. like TB3 to one high bandwidth device like a GPU.

5. wallysb01 macrumors 65816

But using TB3 and the talk about single big GPUs just doesn't jive. Its got to be a box with slots to an extent here. It might just be that Apple cooks up some cute PCIe - GPU module similar to the CPU trays of the cMP. Maybe with some PCIe extenders to allow for things to get slotted in on top of or next to each other.

6. s-hatland thread starter macrumors regular

s-hatland

yes, TB3 for this particular idea. thinking that storage and a pci chassis could each take up one channel. the idea on the PCI chassis was for things like audio cards, or general upgrades for later on (i.e. USB3 on cMP) or whatever else people use PCIe for, etc.

exactly, that's why i suggest two PCIe x16 in the "base" for your big GPUs. or if you only need one GPU, you have an extra slot for whatever else.

i thought about have a "connector" on the top of each module to plug into, but then there'd be a "hole" on the top-most box and figured apple would never go for that... so i digressed to TB3

7. Mago macrumors 68000

[​IMG]

I think the mMP will be at some point between the tMP and this concept with few corrections:

GPUs in case Apple decides to use std ISA gpus they should use some interposer to drive the DP1.4 signals to the Thundernbolt 3 controllers, even Apple may order GPUs with propertary PCIe socket (most likely but very close to STD GPUs).

Another are Storage: no room for spinners neither SATA SSDs, as much Apple will offer m.2 PCIe NVMe or propetary, but surely removable.

8. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

This isn't what I'd personally want, but I do like this guy's renderings:

[​IMG]

It is an expandable and upgradeable computer, with a huge nod to the style and beauty of the 6,1.

See this link for more.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 7, 2017 ---
    Dangit, Mago beat Mango by a few seconds. ;)

9. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Round is horrible shape for a computer. Gimmie a big fat box with power.

10. s-hatland, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017

s-hatland thread starter macrumors regular

s-hatland

i do like mr. eggert's renderings. might have to flip those gpus right-side-up, but pretty solid idea.

also, where's the CPU on that thing?

11. Rustus Maximus macrumors 6502

Rustus Maximus

12. joebclash macrumors regular

I agree, the round mac pro shape is/was a failure. Why go back to it?

13. s-hatland thread starter macrumors regular

s-hatland

14. Mago macrumors 68000

Rounded its the shape of Power...

[​IMG]

15. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

I really, really like the look of that thing.

16. jeanlain macrumors 65816

It's quite unclear how the video ports are connected to the GPUs.

17. JesperA macrumors 6502a

Yep, but i kinda like the basic shape, but with a slight modification, keep the thermal core in the front and use it for CPU, DIMM and NVMe drives (maybe even optane), and put a compartment behind the thermal core with a more traditional horisontal PCI slots, that compartment could even be the full height of the computer, should fit atlest 5-6 PCI slots

18. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Short 90° Display Port cables would do the trick.

19. jeanlain macrumors 65816

That means video ports aren't thunderbolt ports.

20. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Those 90° Display Port connectors could go to the Alpine Ridge controller. ;)

21. niceandeasy macrumors member

niceandeasy

I think it kind of works for the modular design. Plus a box seems a bit archaic now, it's hard to see them going back to it.

22. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

Technology has advanced a great deal in the last decades, but the large components still need a lot of room and decent airflow. So either "reinvent" cooling to cram everything in the smallest footprint possible or go with the trusty classic Mac Pro case.

The new Mac Pro can be placed on the desk, but considering all the external peripherals and cables it's still not that clean. A big case can largely prevent that and sits neat underneath the desk; nothing wrong with that.

Making the case round with one big fan like the new Mac Pro seems to be pretty efficient; can this be scaled up? Maybe just a larger diameter instead or the twin nMP design from the renders mentioned before? I'm not so sure about sticking with that design, they specifically where going to reimagine the modular Mac - so no classic Mac Pro and no new Mac Pro.

Will be giving this some more thought.

23. Mago macrumors 68000

Its cheaper for Apple just to request Slightly modified Reference GPU designs with only the PCIe and DP signals relocated to a custom proprietary connector, as the GPU wont depart from a the reference design, is an predictable and controlled modular design available almos as soon as new reference designs are ready, quick clean and simple, plug a DP wired back to the motherboard is not Apple Style.

24. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Very modular. You can simply open the lid and insert components.

[​IMG]