Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brandon8u

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
My House
Rumors? Thunderbolt? SD card reader?

I want a 11.6" Air, but they are to be refreshed soon? Should I wait and get a new one or wait and get the old on on the refurbished site for cheaper?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Wait if you can wait, as an update is soon, and you can still get refurbished MBAs then.
The new update will include Thunderbolt, but the SD card reader might be less likely. Why don't you look at any of the dozens of speculation threads?

Cali3350

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
Probably a thunderbolt port replacing the mini displayport port and exactly the same otherwise.

brandon8u

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
My House
Well... I started the thread because I also wanted to get your recommendations. Do you think the price of the refurbished ones will drop one the new ones come out. I'm on a budget but really want the air. I have compared it to almost all the 11.6" PCs, witch won't have OS X.

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
The new 11.6" air will have:

New Sandy Bridge processor.
Integrated intel graphics.

Exact same form factor.
Mini DisplayPort replaced with Thunderbolt port.

Same memory / storage options.

Same price points.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece

Exact same form factor.

Same price points.

it wouldn't be smart from apple's part to have a 2gb standard memory in a LAPTOP (note: NOT a netbook) in 2011...!

Ach111es

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010

Exact same form factor.

Same price points.

I believe the rumor was lower price points. And I bet there will be a ram bump and expanded storage options for BTO (which just means more profit for Apple).

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I would bet my right arm on there being no differences other than processor and intel gpu. RAM will never receive a bump when there's money to be made from upgrades.

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
it wouldn't be smart from apple's part to have a 2gb standard memory in a LAPTOP (note: NOT a netbook) in 2011...!

Why not?

They are selling laptops right now that come with 2GB standard.

I would expect the RAM to remain exactly the same.

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
I would bet my right arm on there being no differences other than processor and intel gpu. RAM will never receive a bump when there's money to be made from upgrades.

I agree - but I expect the Thunderbolt port gets added, too.

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
Rumors? Thunderbolt? SD card reader?

I want a 11.6" Air, but they are to be refreshed soon? Should I wait and get a new one or wait and get the old on on the refurbished site for cheaper?

I'm waiting. The rumoured upgrades of Sandy Bridge Processors are a big improvement on the existing Core2Duos will make a massive difference.
:)

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010

Exact same form factor.

Same price points.

You forget that Sandy Bridge uses 1333 RAM vs the current 1066. This does make a little bit of difference. Also, since SB has support for more RAM, apple might/might not just put the base option at 4 GB. RAM really isn't all that expensive right now, and with how well the current batch is selling, they're going to need more to entice early adopters to upgrade.

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
I'm waiting. The rumoured upgrades of Sandy Bridge Processors are a big improvement on the existing Core2Duos will make a massive difference.
:)

You forget that NVidia 320m to Intel HD3000 is somewhat of a downgrade too though. Overall, the spec bump will probably be a lot more minor than some expect purely due to this. The processor boost will only appear so great once you take into account the canceling effect of the weaker graphics.

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
Forgive the noobness, but if the Intel HD3000 GPU is integrated into the chip, then wouldn't there be space left in the MBA logic board for a dedicated GPU, like the AMD Radeon of the MBP's?

Basically, why is not having a dedicated GPU in the new MBA's a given? Is it cost?

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
Forgive the noobness, but if the Intel HD3000 GPU is integrated into the chip, then wouldn't there be space left in the MBA logic board for a dedicated GPU, like the AMD Radeon of the MBP's?

Basically, why is not having a dedicated GPU in the new MBA's a given? Is it cost?

It's partly the cost, but also partly space and heat dissipation. A dedicated GPU will still take up more space than the integrated 320m in the current gen takes up, and it will generate a lot more heat than people will want in such a thin machine. The Airs simply don't have the surface area and proper cooling to feasibly use a dedicated GPU.

If you take a look at iFixit's MBA teardown, you'll see that the insides are very packed, and adding another component that'll likely run even warmer than the processor itself would be suicide.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
You forget that Sandy Bridge uses 1333 RAM vs the current 1066. This does make a little bit of difference. Also, since SB has support for more RAM, apple might/might not just put the base option at 4 GB. RAM really isn't all that expensive right now, and with how well the current batch is selling, they're going to need more to entice early adopters to upgrade.

The iMacs can handle up to 32 gigs, Apple give you 4. That says it all for me as regards how much RAM will be in the base Air. And to be honest, I don't think Apple need give any more incentive to buy, people will buy them by the bucketload, regardless.

Last edited:

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008

But what is the upgrade potential, then?

They aren't going to put 8GB RAM into the MBA, even as a BTO.

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
The iMacs can handle up to 32 gigs, Apple give you 4. That says it all for me as regards how much RAM will be in the base Air.

We do also have to consider Lion itself though. Lion on 2 GB would probably experience significant slowdown from time to time. Since Apple seems to be intent on flashing Lion around like crazy, 4 GB is needed to assure that the machines will run smoothly with Apple's proud creation.

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
But what is the upgrade potential, then?

They aren't going to put 8GB RAM into the MBA, even as a BTO.

Why not? Especially since Apple will have greater numbers in production for this 2nd rev than for the 1st (which was more of a test in consumer interest). This would allow Apple to put more into the machines to lure people in. I don't see it being impossible at all.

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
Why not? Especially since Apple will have greater numbers in production for this 2nd rev than for the 1st (which was more of a test in consumer interest). This would allow Apple to put more into the machines to lure people in. I don't see it being impossible at all.

Because it reduces the margin. Apple puts 2GB into the current model, for $999. You want 2GB more, it's another $100. (A bargain, IMO)

If they introduce the next model with 4GB of memory and start the price at $999 (or lower it, as many have discussed) they are losing money right off the top because their component cost has just increased, with no return for the upgrade.

While I would love to see the low-end MBA get 4GB of RAM as a stock configuration, I would not expect it.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
We do also have to consider Lion itself though. Lion on 2 GB would probably experience significant slowdown from time to time. Since Apple seems to be intent on flashing Lion around like crazy, 4 GB is needed to assure that the machines will run smoothly with Apple's proud creation.

+1.

It's different for people to buy the brand new mba with brand new OS but only 2gb, whose speed will make them say "ok, not bad".
And different to have a brand new mba, brand new os and all that runs blazing fast thanks to GOOD processor, GOOD amount of ram, GOOD disk drive (ssd), great OS!
It will still lack in the graphics power but let's face it, it's a small,thin design made for portability, who cares about games? Get a mbp or a windows...
Maybe it's my hope for them to put 4gb that makes me say all this and not the reality and facts, but who knows? Only :apple: does :)

Because it reduces the margin. Apple puts 2GB into the current model, for $999. You want 2GB more, it's another $100. (A bargain, IMO)

If they introduce the next model with 4GB of memory and start the price at $999 (or lower it, as many have discussed) they are losing money right off the top because their component cost has just increased, with no return for the upgrade.

While I would love to see the low-end MBA get 4GB of RAM as a stock configuration, I would not expect it.

Well, the 2009 model of 15" macbook pro had 2,4ghz c2d, 2gb ram. The new one has SB quad-core with 4gb ram. At the same price. Did they lose money because of 2gb->4? No, because ram prices keep dropping, and so should laptops with ram in them (or instead of price dropping, ram increasing ;))

But to be honest, since we're talking about the 11", maybe it won't have 4gb. Maybe they'll have 2gb standard in the 11" and 4gb standard in the 13".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.