What will the next four years see on an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kevingaffney, Sep 14, 2010.

1. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

Since the launch of the first iPhone, the improvements in smartphones has been staggering. As a 49 year old, who has used various mobile devices for my business for probably fifteen years, the idea of having remote access from anywhere connecting me to all my computers, internet access, email, sky mobile tv etc is fantastic. Do you think the next four years will see the same levels of development or are these devices reaching their limits?

2. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

I think the next big thing is continued convergence. What draws me to iPhone is that it replaces my organizer, phone, point-and-shoot camera, books, handheld gaming console, flashlight and music player. Next I want it to replace my wallet. And all my keys.

3. Savor Suspended

Savor

It is amazing how far we've come in three years. I saw some middle range phones now priced at $330-$350. Look at the new Nokia C6 which is made out of aluminum and steel. The Xperia X10 gets Eclair and priced at $349 with no contract with AT&T. The SE Xperia X8 will be priced below $300. HTC HD Mini is under $400. The prices are coming down. I wouldn't mind seeing iPhone in other carriers and have a cheaper variation. Sometimes I don't mind getting a cheaper phone with lesser features. The advantages is it can have longer battery life because of the slower CPU. People also have many videos converted to QVGA. When watching videos or looking at pix in a higher resolution display, it is like digital zooming it. Phones are becoming more complicated which gets intimidating to an average Joe, but the middle range market can lessen the complication and bugs. We now have phones under $400 unlocked that would be top-end phones just a couple years ago. I think Apple should try to attack the segment in some way because for $100 more than an iPod touch, I can get a decent phone unlocked now.

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Like the other guy said, it'll all be about convergence. With so many services/features/etc out there, there will need to be "the one ring" so to speak to control them all. Eventually, I see the iPhone, either by itself or services featured on the phone, will be the one size fits all controller. You'll get to the point where the only thing you'll need to take with you is your phone. On the same note, if you lose your phone, you're screwed.

5. aohus macrumors 68000

in the near term, i suspect seeing multiple revisions of iPhones per year. Maybe going from 1 to 2 phones / year.

I wouldn't mind iPhone's for specific user types. This would only increase fragmentation however. For instance, a business iPhone that has a different look and feel (more rugged) than say, the consumer version.

6. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Do you people really think you're still (or were ever) funny?

8. joshigh macrumors member

I'd love to see continued vehicle integration. The bluetooth in my Acura is decent, but it could be so much more if it was developed by a company like Apple take over in car systems, where they are fully compatible with the iPhone/iPad and such.

9. mikemanblah macrumors regular

But theres nothing left in your wallet after buying the iPhone

Someone had to say it

10. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

I don't expect to, and I was being sarcastic.