What will the next Gen iPhone be?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waywardsage, Jul 26, 2008.

1. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

Not to be a Douche and be the guy who's dreaming of the "next big thing". But i was just thinking of what the next iPhone would that the current one doesn't already.

I mean, the App store changes everything. It makes the iPhone a true microcomputer capable of being a bewildering amount of devices.

But, other than a higher MP camera, what else does the iPhone need? I'm sure there will always be faster processors and more memory?

The things that I think that could be added are the following:

More memory, (32GB would be sweet, and leave lots of room to download media and apps.)
    Faster processors
    More MP camera

But all of those are sorta a no brainer, it will always steadily improve over the years in the these ways.

Cut and Paste function
    MMS
    Landscape keyboard texting and text entry
    video recording and sending

Correct me if i'm wrong, but these are the majority of the gripes of the current iPhone 3G. But couldn't these all be updated with future firmware? Isn't this just a matter of time? We wouldn't be forced to buy another phone in the future for these functions would we? Is the iPhone 3G capable of recording video with its camera? Its it just a simple matter of someone, (or Apple) creating a program that will record video? Or is the camera physically incapable of recording video? I'd be pretty lame if it is. I mean, my 4 year old RAZR can record video. I'd think the iphone would be capable of it.

Not to complain, just want to have an educated and civil discussion about the future of the iPhone.

Honestly, i love the iPhone and can't wait till i can get one. I'm just curious about what the future holds and what the current one is lacking before I buy. I'm trying to make and educated buying decision.

Thoughts?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

better battery (bettery?). i also wouldn't mind seeing more ram.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

With enough RAM I'd like to be able to run more than one app at a time.

4. waywardsage thread starter macrumors 6502

waywardsage

Running more than one app at a time is a good idea. But honestly, its a handheld. I mean, as it is the iPhone is capable of some amazing things. But I don't expect it to ever replace my laptop. So it doesn't bug me much that it only allows one app at a time.

5. sUGArDawg macrumors regular

sUGArDawg

6. SlapMonkey macrumors regular

Yeah, PLEASE let's not start this crap already. Let us enjoy what we just got in the iPhone 3G.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

First of all, I'm gonna pull an anal technicality on you. I prefer "storage" when you're talking about the flash. "Memory" is usually RAM, which I can't recall how much the iPhone has.

Now that I'm done with that :), yes, 32GB will almost surely be on the next big revision. The camera is the next piece of hardware that will get a bump, although I don't know how much. I know some phones do 5MP, so that's not out of the question. Video recording will probably be part of that, but no guarantees!

The 3G radio will probably be an improved one to get better battery life. WiFi will probably get the bump to 802.11n if that doesn't drain too much battery. This may be necessary if/when the ability to use file storage gets put on the OS.

Speaking of the OS, cut & paste may hit the iPhone with firmware 2.1. Read back a couple of days in the news forum. MMS may be added, but I personally have zero use for it since it's not free (yet e-mail is and it's basically the same darn thing).

I think the iPhone CPU is clocked down from its top clock speed and it can be changed with the firmware. Therefore, the CPU may not change for a year or three. If extra RAM would help, that would probably be something cheap to add, yet it probably isn't necessary.

The only other thing I can think of is the screen. It's great now, but they'll probably keep pushing it up in resolution. You figure one day in the very far future it'll be an HD screen (I'm talking a decade, people).

The truth is there won't be any major update until a newer cell network is agreed upon. Be it 4G, WiMax, whatever, that's your next huge update. Everything else will be incremental.