What will the NEXT iPhone SE be called?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phillyred79, Mar 21, 2016.

1. phillyred79 macrumors regular

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

This thing has been out for five minutes.

Probably the iPhone SE

3. phillyred79 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, just curious if they will incorporate a numerical name to distinguish model years etc...

4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I'm not sure the SE crowd is as interested in the numbers as the "update every year" crowd.

5. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

They did an official announcement 3 hours ago... This is not 2008 iPhone1 and wondering how Steve Jobs was going to name the Jesus' phone.

7. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

I don't see them keeping the 5s form factor around forever.

The 5s was announced in September 2013, so it's 2.5 years old. If they keep this one around for another 2.5 years we're at the iPhone 8. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see an upgrade until then, and they'll make an 8 in three sizes, all with OLED screens. So it'll be the iPhone 8 something.

If the early rumors are true the iPhone 7 build will be pretty similar to that of the 6(s). It's probably easier (and definitely cheaper) to keep the existing manufacturing processes of the 6 and 6s and change as little as possible (a few tweaks, moving the antenna bands, etc). Which means the 7(s) will have just the 4.7" and 5.5" sizes. If they wanted to include a 4" for the 6(s) form factor we would've seen it today as a 6c or something. Once they move on to the next big new design change for the 8 they'll have to change up most processes anyway, so they might as well include the 4" at that point.

8. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

SE-pro-2-plus-mini-max.

9. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

10. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Maybe no more SE just like what they did with the 5C. No other "C" model has come out since..

11. Carmenia83 macrumors 6502

Hopefully they'll start dumping numerical names altogether. iPhone SE, iPhone Air, and iPhone Pro in September?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2016 ---
    Probably because they sold a lot less of them than they were planning on. With the guts of the 6s at $399, the SE will be a gold mine.

12. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

From what I remember, the 5C sold exceptionally well and it was just the negative rhetoric on this forum that made everyone feel and think that no one bought that phone.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

iPhone SEcond

14. barondebxl macrumors 6502

barondebxl

Who gives a phukk? This just got announced let's just focus on that.

15. CEmajr macrumors 601

16. Carmenia83 macrumors 6502

I didn't say no one bought them. They sold a lot of them, I just don't think it was as successful as they had hoped. Tim even said during an earnings call that they were "surprised on the sales ratio between the iPhone 5C and the iPhone 5S which led to an overstock" of the 5c. Had they hit this price point with the 5c, it probably would've been a different story. Instead they cut it to an 8gb version and it was still more expensive than the SE will be at launch.

Either way, if they can overcome the appearance that it's "just a new 5s", the SE will sell very well.

17. AliMacs macrumors 6502

I'm sure they will release another iPhone don't know the name but I can tell you the size of the display! It will be 3.5" since we are turning back time now. I'm sure there are tons of people who hated going up to a 4" display!

18. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I think the SE is basically a test to see how the market responds. If favorably, then I can see a potential iPhone 7s mini. If unfavorably, then that's why it was a special edition ;)

19. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

Exactly my thoughts. They see somewhat of a market but are not sure if it is enough to merit a full mini flagship phone. Depending on how the SE sells will determine if they move along with plans for a mini flagship (which the se is not far off from aside from design)

20. RowellE macrumors regular

RowellE

21. e93to macrumors 6502a

e93to

I am surprised it is not called 'iPhone Mini"... Maybe next iteration could be called "iPhone Mini"

22. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Me never got a second 5c. So, who knows? Maybe this is the year apple gets rid of numbering?