What will the SDK be like?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joshellis625, Feb 19, 2008.

1. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

Does anybody have any ideas on what the new SDK might be like? Do you think it is entirely code based or do you think there will be some sort of visual IDE or something really nice?

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Over- -shiny, -hyped, -costly, -due, ...Possibly runs on AIR.
    Cue threads on Hacked iPhones hacking the new apps, how to unhack an iPhone, cost of apps for Touch, and more.

Should be good.

3. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

unless your a coder i really wouldnt worry about it, just enjoy its fruits.

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

My guess is it will be an extension/plugin for Xcode with a possible emulator for testing apps on the desktop. It will be all code, no visual editor. The iPhone is quite limited in terms of processing and memory compared to the desktop, so it won't be like writing VB apps or anything.

I bet they'll allow dashboard widgets for people to make things faster, but allow native Cocoa apps to be written to get better performance and tighter interfaces.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Thank you someone else for saying it.

The SDK isn't some new application that you put on your iPhone and convert Photoshop to run on it. I have no idea why everyone is so jacked up about anything other than its availability. This is akin to some screwdriver company releasing a new giant screwdriver than allows certain widgets to work with certain gadgets. :)

6. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

I agree its probubly just going to plugin to x-code's dashcode module considering how in the verry begining the iPhone apps where refered to as widgets.

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Perhaps because a giant screw and it's screwdriver gets the mind thinking...

8. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

i keep seeing this term all over, can someone please explain what this "SDK" is?

9. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

SDK = Software Development Kit. It's what Apple will release to developers to allow them to write software for the iPhone without having to hack their phones.

10. mekopolis macrumors regular

so we are all going to get scr*wed ...j/k

the way i look at it, re: of how the sdk will be open/closed and or distributed and all the details, in the end it will be a good thing,

at least it will bring some new apps, and or games to the iphone/touch

on a previous post i thought of an interesting new style of jailbreaking, where a programmer could develop an application that would spoof the app distribution of itunes, so that one could load unsigned apps and the application could virtually sign them so that the iphone/touch would believe they were signed from itunes....just a thought....

but i am excited for the sdk release

11. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

finally, it makes sense. thanks :)