what will the sdk give us?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rascal2u, Jan 18, 2008.

1. rascal2u macrumors member

In the doom & gloom following the $20.00 upgrade...I'm confident that there will be free sdk apps...itunes has given you all the clues you need;)

Go to their podcast area...major media distributors are giving the content away for nothing- but with their advertising right in your face.

You will have the opportunity to choke your ipt memory with free apps, if you're willing to watch an ad at program start-up...an ad when you save...an ad if you pause for more than a minute while working or playing.

Ads...ads...ads....it's the google model. Get used to it. Download a simple ipt word-processor and be ready for..mmm...STAPLES selling you ink cartridges. Download AIM programs and watch a FACEBOOK ad...on and on and on...

It's the new thing...want something for nothing? Sure...wait 30 seconds while we sell you something. Oh wait...that's called television...

What do you think? Ready for unlimited ad-supported apps?

2. skeen macrumors 6502

Erm, No. There will be pay-for apps, and free apps, and free apps accompanying existing services, like Facebook, etc.

3. br1anc macrumors regular

4. rascal2u thread starter macrumors member

Of course there will be quality apps designed by smart coders, but when Wal-Mart offers you a free app that entertains your 7 year old, with a minute of advertising included...will you download it?

5. theman macrumors 6502a

sure, but i would tell him that walmart is run by hitler.

i guess that's why i don't have a kid... :D

6. rascal2u thread starter macrumors member

lol theman! I'm just curious how 'free' people want their apps, i've been on the interwebs since 1993 and now it looks like a cable tv channel...the ipt is just a tiny television in your pocket, but with bitchin' infotainment!

7. Osprey macrumors 6502

Actually if you are telling your kid that WalMart is run by Hitler, I think you would make a pretty good parent:D

8. rascal2u thread starter macrumors member

oh come on! Wal-mart=Hitler????

I brought up Wal-Mart as an example of a deep pocket $$ company that will partner with Apple to provide you free apps with ads for...Wal-Mart

9. Osprey macrumors 6502

Well it was a joke, and no I don't think that Wal-Mart=Hitler. However, if you have ever researched the way Wal-Mart has treated some of their employees then forgive me if they don't get my vote for outstanding US corporation.

10. skeen macrumors 6502

There are not going to be 30-second ads in apps! That's a stupid idea, and it's not going to happen. You just made it up!

11. rascal2u thread starter macrumors member

agreed...but would you download an app that gave your IPT a useful program if it came for free...from a company like Viacom...Exxon...or Walmart?

12. rascal2u thread starter macrumors member

skeen...calm down:) How else can it happen? Let's see who pays for the 'free' apps on itunes:cool:

13. Osprey macrumors 6502

Well considering how annoyed I get when I have pop ads on my pc at work, or when a movie I am watching is interrupted by ads, I really don't think I would get the app. It would have to be pretty incredible.

14. rascal2u thread starter macrumors member

Osprey...thanks for staring the future down and finding it...ok. Most of those apps will be stupid...i think some will be too good to turn away from. Soon, we're going to lose track 'cause the sdk will become a corporate playground.

I worry for the iphone user, because his/her buying habits will be shared globally, and stevie jobs is just trying to get his percentage of the latest greatest thing.

We are next:cool:

15. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

all this talk REALLY makes me want to downgrade, and jailbrake..... i just hope some of the apps avalible in the app tapp installer come out with the SDK