What will the watch do on a plane?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by teamzissou00, Apr 8, 2015.

1. teamzissou00 macrumors newbie

I fly 70,000 miles a year - will my phone be limited to a watch in the air- or will the bluetooth work on apps that don't require pulling data?

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

3. cwosigns, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015

cwosigns macrumors 65816

You should be fine. Turn on Bluetooth and Wifi on your iPhone, spring for the in-flight internet, and all functionality will be there.

But seriously...you have your phone, and you're on a plane. Just use your phone.

4. technosix macrumors 6502a

Perhaps you'll just sit there and look good :)

It's a fashion thing you know.

5. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Why does the watch need to do anything in the air? Maybe I'm missing something. I'll fly over 200,000 miles a year and it's not really important to have junk running in the air for me. It will tell the time when it still has juice, reminders will work for when I need an alert or if I have notifications that don't need online access, and it will tell me when I need to stand up hopefully and stretch. That last thing probably isn't too important because if I get a blood clot mid-air and die from it, I'm not going to care much.

6. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Would be interesting to see how one's heartrate reflects turbulence and whether #⌚️ would award you with the badge after especially bumpy flight. :D

7. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I'm posting this from 30k feet. I think I'm over Arizona right now. The watch will work fine. ;)

8. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I will be topping up the battery on the plane using one of the USB ports.

9. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

Maybe the pilot will have one and share his heart rate with the passengers. See the difference between when he takes off, is just cruising, going through turbulence, or shooting for an emergency landing :cool::cool:

10. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Depends on the airline and wifi setup on the aircraft. Most of them only open certain ports.

You cannot, for example, make Skype calls, use FaceTime, etc. Anyone's guess regarding various apps and services in the mix.

11. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

You can with a VPN. :)

12. cwosigns macrumors 65816

Those limitations are not unique to the Watch, though. Skype and FaceTime aren't even on the watch. He was asking about watch functionality.

13. sterl320 macrumors 6502

what are you doing on the plane that you can't use your phone for?

14. Glene macrumors 6502

I'm looking forward to completely keeping my phone buried in my briefcase under the seat and still accessing my tunes via bt headphones. Much less clutter.....

15. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

If you are sitting on a plane I'm not sure why you wouldn't just pull your phone out of your pocket...