What will we see this summer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by asaad, Mar 3, 2009.

?

What will Apple come out with this summer?

1. A 3rd Gen iPhone w/3.0 software

30 vote(s)
    68.2%
  2. Just a 3.0 Software update

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. Nothing new

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. asaad macrumors member

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I predict most of the major upgrades/changes this summer will be software related and come packaged in the 3.0 firmware upgrade available to everyone. I believe there will be hardware upgrades, but nothing more than a redesigned back casing, storage bump (32G) and maybe an improved battery. That last one is the least likely of the three, IMO, which is why I emphasized the maybe.

3. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

I'm hoping for lots of sun. I like gardening and my hound likes to run on the beach.
    :D

4. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

You see, I don't know about that.

If you notice, the iPhone can only seem to run one program at a time. This is in contrast to Windows Mobile, which allows multiple programs to run at the same, minus the stability. I remember reading somewhere this was done to (1) increase stability (obviously) and (2) simply because the current iPhone hardware can not support multiple programs. It will be around a year since the app store launched if and when a new iPhone comes out, I wouldn't be surprised to see more of a push for the apps and more complexity as we approach this date.

Even now, Apple seems to be really pushing their app store and the different kinds of apps of available. However, a lot of issues still stem from the current hardware limitations of the iPhone. For example, I believe a lot of the reason why we still haven't seen the infamous push notification service yet is simply because the current iPhone hardware can not support it consistently with the different types of apps available.

The latest iPod touch includes a faster chipset than the hardware in the iPhone 3G. The iPhone is supposed to be Apple's flagship mobile product. I believe if Apple really intends to push their app store (and rightfully so), they will need to introduce a new flagship iPhone with hardware capable of (1) increased complexity in their apps (which is already starting to become apparent) and (2) advanced multi-thread support to finally support the push notification or at least some sort of background processes.

Also it wouldn't hurt to include the 3.5G cellular radio (I forget which is which).

5. bigchief macrumors 6502a

What he said, because I don't believe for a second that Apple is going to let the iphone play second fiddle to anyone. I predict big changes sometime this year, probably this summmer.

6. asaad thread starter macrumors member

not to mention...

"Apple appears to have invested heavily in bringing ARM design and development in-house with their acquisition of P.A. Semi and speculation that they are an architectural licensee of ARM's processors."

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/02/16/first-multi-core-mobile-platform-demonstrated/

Although from that same article....
    "There has been some debate about how quickly ARM would be able to ramp up these processors as the original timeline for the Cortex-A9 had targeted late 2009/early 2010."