What will you be doing with your HP Touchpad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ijustfarted, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Ijustfarted macrumors regular

(of course this is considering you didn't get one just to resell or giveaway)

what will you be doing with it what you don't do on your ipad2?

ipad 2 will become my mobile device that I'll take to school. take my etextbooks, and write my notes on, do hw on, read magazines on (can't wait for newstand to come with ios 5:D), email, and other important stuff.

got the touchpad and it will almost be stricly a web browser (which it excels in compared to the ipad2. the touchpad will just be the throw around go to household tablet everybody uses.
    my sister also needs a computer of some kind, she will be using the tablet as that.
    honestly still havne't decided on it's role.

what will you be doing with your touchpad?

2. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I'm giving the touchpad to my wife so that she can stop using my iPad. :)

All she ever does is browse the web so she will do just fine with it and at $115 with tax and shipping, it's much cheaper than getting a 2nd iPad.

3. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

I'm going to use it to take notes in my business classes, browse the web, watch flash content, and basically use it for everything else I do with my iPhone but on a much larger screen. I love the app store for iOS, but lately there have been about 5-10 apps I use regularly. Netflix is the only one I'll miss on the Touchpad.

So $99 is an INSANE deal for something that has this much utility. I'm actually quite happy I never picked up an iPad now.

4. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

No stock anywhere:( If I manage to get one, it'll replace an old Lenovo Thinkpad that I sometimes use for browsing, e-mail and other light tasks..

5. jm5309 macrumors regular

6. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

How are you guys getting them so cheap? They are priced at $791 (£479) and the best savings I've seen only knock them down by around $82 (£50) which still makes the final price huge in comparison to what you guys paid..... :confused:

7. ssgrif macrumors member

prices were reduced massively over the last few days, however this is only reflected in the USA at the moment, so UK prices remain the same. typical!

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yes I contacted Elara, who are the official Irish reseller of the Touchpad (HP's online store ireland just links to them) and they sent me an email saying they have heard nothing from HP in regards to a price cut - so at the moment the €578 for the 32GB touchpad remains. Shocking.

9. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I am going to buy one, load it with games and give it to my grandchild. Hopefully he will remember this years from now and visit me when I am ancient and in a nursing home.:D

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Your assuming there are 'loads' of games to load onto it. Judging from the dirth of apps available on my Pre 2 from the official store - you won't be loading up 'loads' by a long shot. Always been one of the big downsides to webOS unfortunately.

11. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

Yes, I was wondering how much was actually available. He is young, so it doesn't take much to keep him entertained. He will have fun just playing with it and seeing what it can do.

12. urkel macrumors 68030

Some people think getting a dead end system is dumb. But for $100 then I think its the best bargain we've seen in a very long time.

1) Kids and their Greasy Fingers. Why let my kid butter up my $600 iPad 2 when i can let her use this $100 Touchpad
    2) More video format support. Apple people don't like to acknowledge this problem, but the iPad is too restrictive on file formats. The TouchPad has played everything so far which makes it a superior playback device.
    3) Its Disposable Don't tell anyone, but sometimes I leave my iPad in the car. If that ever got stolen then not only do I lose money but I lose data. The Touchpad can be a disposable machine I leave in the car without worrying
    4) Mom. Dad. Brother. They don't need to invest $500 to get a tablet that they may or may not like. So at $100 its a great intro into the Tablet world. (Unfortunately it will spoil them when they switch platforms and realize everyone else has horrible multitasking in comparison)
    5) BAsic Apps Why is it that people think program that are built into the OS aren't Apps? To the average user then Web Browsers, MP3 Players, Video Players, Facebook, Email, Calendars, Address Books etc are the MOST important Apps out there and they are all built right into the TouchPad.
    6) Video Chat Skype is built in so this can be the family Skype machine.
    7) Car Mount I have a cheap little iPad jacket that attaches to the headrest. This fits perfectly so the passengers get their own entertainment center that ISNT my iPad
    8) Flash Sites Apple fans won't admit this, but Flash is still part of the internet. So instead of going to the computer in the other room when my iPad fails to load a site i can just use the TouchPad.

Im sure ill find more uses for it, but for now this thing is easily justified.

13. Syk macrumors 6502a

I'll probably use it some to play with but mostly will let my son use it. He can play flash games online and hey angry birds is online so he can do that, load some movies on it for him, a few ebooks to read and to use in the car while traveling.

I didn't get in on the $99 deal, missed it so I got the 149.99 32GB, added a ream of paper and used the $30 off which brings it to $137 shipped. Not bad and if he drops it or cracks the screen I won't be as upset as I would be if he did that to my iPad2.

For the price it's a no brainer.

14. ehoez macrumors member

i can finally watch flash videos and redtube now on my touchpad...

15. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I got 2 1 for me and 1 for the wife. I think I'm gonna use it for web, emails, messaging and a nite stand alarm clock lol. Would love to pick up the charging dock stand, but not for $80 which cost as much as the Touchpad :rolleyes: Will wait for the stand to come down really cheap in couple weeks and I will see it at marshalls lol.

16. sumone macrumors regular

I guess either way works but I know theft on campus is a big deal at my university. For that reason personally I would probably prefer to bring the touchpad around school with me and leave the iPad home. But if you have more utility for the iPad at school then I guess leaving the Touchpad would make the most sense.

17. neonbright macrumors member

Got it so my daughter will stay off my iPad and draw, etc somewhere else.

18. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Well, I didn't get one as they were sold out were I went, but I was going to keep it by the John. Protect my iPad from E. coli.:p

19. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

Hey everyone, I was thinking of buying 5 of these if they come back into stock for my classroom for really just internet use.

My question to you guys: Can you set up the web browser to run on a proxy network?

I tried to put android devices on the proxy network but I was shocked to find out that android does not support it. I was hoping webOS will have this feature on the touchpad since I've read it is not a feature on their phones.

Someone please confirm that it is possible...thanks a lot.

20. ehoez macrumors member

[​IMG]

next time just wipe.

21. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I have had a TP since launch day. I rarely use it. While the browser may have flash, it never works well. The iPad browser is far faster. The limited apps made the TP kind of useless.

22. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Angry Birds HD is available from the HP app catalog, and its free to boot (same version as the iPad, and just as smooth...unlike Android tablets which always lag on AB)

Thee aren't a lot of apps, but there are a fair number, and many very good ones. The NPR news app is very nice, and the USA today app is exactly how a tablet should work. The photos app is awesome...collects photo akbumslocally, from Facebook, photo sharing sites, etc, and puts all those albums together...it's really slick. Obviously, the total app selection is nothing compared to the iPad, but it's a very good tablet..I'm really enjoying mine.

23. labman macrumors 604

labman

I will say one thing Touchpad lacks is Fart Apps! :D

24. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

i was planning on waiting till android port comes out for it but that may be awhile since it'll probably be better to wait for ice cream sandwich. now i'm debating if i want to keep it or sell it and buy a eee pad or just an ipad 2... ipad 2 jailbroken with xbmc will satisfy my 1080p mkv haha