Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
For me, I've decided to teach myself to code (just started a free course on Udemy.)

My 2008 iMac is just way too slow, and I just tried to install Xcode but it wouldn't let me install the additional components needed. Thus, I needed a new machine.

If anyone has any tips for me, they'd be welcomed (I am a complete beginner.)

What about you? What will you be using your M1 Mac for?

Intrigue me ...

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
For me, I've decided to teach myself to code (just started a free course on Udemy.)

My 2008 iMac is just way too slow, and I just tried to install Xcode but it wouldn't let me install the additional components needed. Thus, I needed a new machine.

Intrigue me ...
a developer here, will be purchase m1 macbook when available in my country.

macbook m1 for :

1. Easy to show customer product /solution / demo.
(work horse still old imac 2017 16 gb 486 external ssd boot (secure then t2 whatever any problem)
2. macbook m1 travel editing code. Will resell my huawei d5 to subsidze m1 maybe or let see or become a demo for android development ( m1 doesnt have android emulator so pretty bad)
3. a second backup if anything happen imac 2017( just repair power supply)
4. I do web custom apps,mobile apps (php,java,swift)
5. I love keychain kinda weird movin back to windows :(
** not youtuber so i dont do alll those benchmark weirdness .

Reactions: The Cockney Rebel

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
a developer here, will be purchase m1 macbook when available in my country.

macbook m1 for :

1. Easy to show customer product /solution / demo.
(work horse still old imac 2017 16 gb 486 external ssd boot (secure then t2 whatever any problem)
2. macbook m1 travel editing code. Will resell my huawei d5 to subsidze m1 maybe or let see or become a demo for android development ( m1 doesnt have android emulator so pretty bad)
3. a second backup if anything happen imac 2017( just repair power supply)
4. I do web custom apps,mobile apps (php,java,swift)
5. I love keychain kinda weird movin back to windows :(
** not youtuber so i dont do alll those benchmark weirdness .
Do you have any tips for a new/learner coder?

I’m completely new to coding.

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
Do you have any tips for a new/learner coder?

I’m completely new to coding.
it never ever about code but how you want to solve problem using it .

E.g designer lazy to resize image for mobile apps ios , android size. So create a script maybe applescript using photoshop sdk ? maybe some bash script take one image and push to a folder. Have fun try to copy paste and solve problem.

** i do hate people thinking programming is about oop so on lalla . just keep is simple stupid(kiss)

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
it never ever about code but how you want to solve problem using it .

E.g designer lazy to resize image for mobile apps ios , android size. So create a script maybe applescript using photoshop sdk ? maybe some bash script take one image and push to a folder. Have fun try to copy paste and solve problem.

** i do hate people thinking programming is about oop so on lalla . just keep is simple stupid(kiss)
Thanks for the advice, buddy.

Take care.

Reactions: alien3dx

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I wanted to understand what changes were needed for DevOps on Macs. Docker/VMs/Java/other tools are all different and potentially needed updating. I have a pretty good handle on everything now. We are still in an early stage for all of those but mostly they are already working. I can recommend M1 MacBooks now without a lot of hesitation for organizations that have some flexibility on tools. For others, the schedule is about 6 to 12 months out. It is surprisingly easy to move over to the M1 Macs.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Intrigue me ...
I'm due to buy my next (and likely last) Intel Mac shortly. Why Intel? Because I do IT and x86 virtualization is key for me (especially with OSes that aren't the nicest to virtualize using Hyper-V, which I get for free on all of my PCs, on account of having Windows 10 Pro). That and most of my games are still Intel only with no word on when or how many of them will even jump to Apple Silicon (plus, I have Boot Camp if all of that fails). I'm probably buying the 2020 Intel Ice Lake 13" MacBook Pro (though I do often vacillate between that and the hexa-core i7 model 16" MacBook Pro).

That all said, I am likely also buying, around the same time, an M1 MacBook Air. The answer to your question (which presumably focuses on this Air and not the previously mentioned Intel MacBook Pro) is that, again, I do IT, and I want to get familiar with the new start-up-modifier-key-free world that Apple is ushering us into, as well as best practices for wiping, reloading, and restoring Apple Silicon Macs, as I want to be comfortable on how to do that when I inevitably take a job where that knowledge is key.

It's fair to say that a decent amount of my Mac platform needs die with Intel and that Apple Silicon is where my Mac platform needs scale back considerably (I was pretty sure I wouldn't be buying any Macs in the Apple Silicon era; but I realized that this hands on familiarity is likely to be crucial).

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
Unless you are in Final Cut you might would want to wait a little longer for the other Mac DAWS get on New Mac OS!

Definitely.

I'm a Premiere Pro user myself (along with the rest of Adobe's Suite) so I'm going to patiently wait to make sure there are no more compatibility issues in sight. Even Photoshop hasn't been fully optimized for M1 Macs so I'm in no hurry at all!

Since I need this professionally on a day-to-day basis, I can't afford bugs and a lack of compatibility just so I can own the latest, greatest Mac.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Just curious what everyone who is getting an M1 mac, what are you doing with it? What are you using it for and why did you pick it?

snakes-

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
Like it or not Arm architecture is now apples future, this was fascinating me and is the reason i bought one.
I use my M1 for all the little things i don't handle with my Iphone. I dont like ipads. I use only Iphone and my mac. The fanless speed is amazing and i can let run/switch so many task´s at once.

Last edited:

Spindel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2020
Currently because of work from home I use my M1 Mini for:

MS Word
MS Powerpoint
MS Excel
MS Outlook
MS OneNote
MS OneDrive
AutoCad LT 2020
Web browsing
PDF Editing

When not working:
Photo editing
Some gaming (mainly Civ 6 nowadays)
Mucking around with my home network (thank you apple for the built in SSH)
General mucking around with computer (thank you apple for a useful terminal)
Just doing stuff that works better by a computer than (or is not possible on) an iPad or iPhone

Switched from a 2013 27" iMac, it was getting old, not being supported by Big Sur and finally there was a Mini worth replacing the iMac with (I do love the iMac, but I do hate that it's not usable as an monitor for other computers and that I have to change a working monitor just because I want a more modern computer).

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
For my side job, I will be using this Mac for Office apps, app development, web and graphic design, Photoshop, and programming. Outside of that, music streaming, learning both Final Cut and Logic Pro, and some gaming.

UCDHIUS

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2017
Texas
Testing out, random things, general screwing around with, and getting a feel for what’s to come for AS chips.

also... gaming and getting things (like windows games) to run via crossover.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.