What Will You Do August 27th?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I hope you do realize, that the original article was intended for August 27, 2003:
2005 Update: In May 2005 this same message began circulating anew (and undated). Although clearly the same "once in a lifetime" celestial event cannot occur again, the email may appear accurate at first glance due to announcements by astronomers earlier in the year stating that the orbits of the Earth and Mars will draw closer together than usual during the month of October 2005 — just not quite as close as in 2003.

Comment

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
xsedrinam said:
Telescopes? Video and cameras? Family and friends over? Nothing? We're planning to take as many shots of Mars, up close and personal, as possible. I think it's going to be fun.
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_mars_encounter.htm
X
Unfortunately I'm busy. I'll catch it on it's way past next time ;);).

(seriously though I'm hopefully going to take some cool photos with a friend who has a nice selection of telescopes - in october though).

Comment

3badjacksfan

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2005
LaLaLand
Ummm... did you read the link? It's referring to an August 2003 event.

It does say that late October 2005 will be good too, just not as good as it was in 2003. I couldn't leave you there in the dark looking upward for Mars on Aug 27, 2005... "Now, where'd I put that Mars? It was right here a millenium ago." Sorry. :(

Comment

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
Man, I hate it when that happens. My bad. I'd seen the October reference some time last June, when we just returned Stateside, but actually did not catch the 2003 back reference. My bad. Where have I been? Out of the country, but that's no excuse. I won't plead ignorance on this one. No pleading is necessary. So, it's October(ish) and (not as close)?
X

Comment

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
3badjacksfan said:
Ummm... did you read the link? It's referring to an August 2003 event.
Umm, did you read the previous posts? Like, post #2? :rolleyes:

Comment

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
And it's total BS, the only way mars could appear as large as the full moon were if it were much, much closer to Earth, at a distance in fact that the gravity would affect the tides so much entire cities would be destroyed.

It's just totally wrong.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.