What will you do if there isn't an ultraportable at MacWorld 2008?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joegomolski, Dec 5, 2007.

1. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

Here's the deal.

Two years ago when the MacBook Pro was introduced, there were a lot of disappointed people. Because Apple left something out of the Pro laptop lineup.

Namely, a replacement for the PowerBook G4 12".

A lot of Mac users, myself included, were, to say the least, surprised. PO ed more likely. We couldn't figure out how Apple could leave such a gaping hole in their pro line.

Ever since that day there has been endless speculation on the immanent release of a 12" replacement. And if you go back in this forum's archives there hasn't been a week go by without a rumor thread, or more, about the rumor that the replacement 12" , now 13.3", is due very soon.

Still hasn't happened.

So for those of us who are sure there'll be one. What are you going to do if there isn't one?

I'm going to cry, and grind my teeth. And act like a big baby, my wife says I won't be acting.

And you?
    And you?

2. sk8ordie macrumors regular

sk8ordie

3. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Nothing Apple took to long, I already bought the macbook.

4. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Has it been that long?

I remember how people said it was a ridiculous name and how it would have to be changed back to PowerBook. :rolleyes:

5. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Guess it'll have to be the 15" MBP. I only have three windows in which I can buy a machine - January, April and October. I've had a MacBook since summer and I've been holding out for January announcements since then - not going to wait beyond Macworld!

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I still prefer iBook and Powerbook to Macbook and Macbook pro...

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yawn.

And keep working away on my 12" PB. Recently upgraded HD, soon to max out the RAM, running Leopard, still getting by.

8. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

I'd be fairly upset....I would then really have to decide between the 13.3 inch screen of the Macbook and the graphics power of the Macbook Pro.....this is a choice I would rather have combined in one laptop...lets just hope this question is a mute point!!

9. tom1971 macrumors 6502a

I will join you ;)

10. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Me too.

My 12" PowerBook is ace.

I still want a MBP of some variety one day... maybe in one year... :D

11. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I will continue to enjoy my 2 year old MacBook Pro then :D

12. paola105 macrumors 6502

paola105

I wouldn't do anything. I'm happy with my current 15" MBP and will be for a long time. ;)

13. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I'll be happy if it doesnt come out, because if it does I'll need to sell my 15' MBP and buy it, losing a few hundred dollars probably :D

14. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

Me too... lets jump together.

15. f1 macrumors 6502

Nothing the 12 inch powerbook was too small the 13 inch macbook is perfect for me and i'm happy

16. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Take pleasure in the fact that if that doesn't come, then the new MacBook Pros probably will :D

17. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

Indeed.

18. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

If there is no ultra-portable I will be disappointed. If there is no ultra-portable or Mac Pro I will be disoriented.

19. iMan G5 macrumors member

Dunno. I really hope there will be one as I want one. If there isn't I might buy a Macbook/Pro/Mini and keep/sell/keep my iMac G5. I am still undecided.
    Then, jump with you guys. :D

20. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

It wouldn't directly effect me, since I'm planning on just ordering a regular, penryn upgraded macbook pro anyway. Guess that would suck for the rest of you who really want something smaller though. :(

21. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Well I couldn't care less whether it's ultra portable or not--with my current behemoth laptop that weighs 10 lbs, the 17 inch MPB is ultra portable to me. I was in the Apple store a few weeks ago and I picked up the 15 inch MBP and I don't understand how people claim "it's too heavy to carry around". You call 5 and a half pounds heavy for a 15 inch laptop? Go to the gym please and start lifting 5 pound weights, or I can give you my 10 lb laptop to do some exercises with when I get rid of it!

Now obviously, if they can make a 3.5 lb laptop great...but if they don't and these 13 inch screens they ordered are for a 13 inch MBP that does have an optical drive and is not crippled by a sh*tty low power processor and 60 GB hard drive, that weighs 5 pounds or a little less then I'm buying that one. I am waiting for Penryn MBPs, and I hope the rumored machine is a 13 inch version, and not some nano/tablet thing that is useless to me!:cool:

22. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

What would people do if all apple did was update the colour of the mini dvi to DVI adapter ? :D

23. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

24. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I keep wondering this: What was the big deal with the 12"? It weighed nearly as much as the Macbook! There is absolutely no point whatsoever in having something smaller when it weighs as much as a regular notebook :confused: As I've also said before, I was pretty glad in the end that a used buy of one I was setting up fell through when I retroactively did my research. Did it have some sort of mythical property I'm not aware of?

25. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

I'll probably come here and whine about how Steve Jobs has ruined my life YET AGAIN!!!!111