What will you do with your current Retina Macbook Pro when the new one comes out?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Starfyre, May 31, 2016.

1. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

As the topic states, what will you do *in the tone of the guy in the Rogue One star wars trailer*.... with your current rMBP/MBP when the new pros come out?

I am thinking of maybe using mine as an always running server machine I can remote desktop... or maybe sell it if values make sense.

2. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Considering I bought mine 5 months ago use it like usual?

3. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

If the new MBP has 32GB RAM and a good video card (at least a GT960M), I will sell my mid 2014 and upgrade to it. If it's just a processor refresh and still mid range video card, then no upgrade.

4. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

Keep it.

I avoid 1st gen Apple products like the plague.

5. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Didn't know the Macbook Pro is a first gen product.... Perhaps the iPhone 7 will be a first Gen product as well? Maybe the Playstation 5 will be as well . #whatlogic

6. savagewatts macrumors regular

I'll use my 2014 for two more years most likely. No need to upgrade yet for me.

7. xrc6 macrumors newbie

Do what I have done the last couple times a new MBP came out. Keep using the one I got and investing that $2k properly as apposed to wasting it for some slightly updated hardware. Granted some people will use 100% of their hardware but I probably don't use 10% most of the time out of my current. A tablet can do what I do 90% of the time from a hardware perspective.

8. jerryk macrumors 68020

But Apple seems to find something to fix when they come out with "s" models. The 6s has a 70% faster CPU and 90% faster GPU that strange haptic touch, 4k video at 30 fps, retina flash, and a host of other mods.

9. Closingracer macrumors 68000

And number model gets all that plus more. IPhone 5s offered touch id and the 6 offered besides a bigger phone Apple pay, full HD screens for the 6 plus or HD+ for the 6 to name a few enhancements. Still isn't a first gen product. A first gen iPhone was the first iPhone....

10. jerryk macrumors 68020

One way or another I need to upgrade. So I will send my 2011 MBP 13 with 512 GB SSD and 16 GB of memory to a family member and get something newer, If the new Macs are not exciting, or not until the end of the year I will just buy a 2014 or 2015 retina at what should be a large discount. Even if they are exciting I might get an older retina unit since Apple seems to have some issues with new hardware lately. Since I use my computers for paying work, I do not have time to be a guinea pig/beta tester for Apple.

11. Closingracer macrumors 68000

I would go with the other option Tbh. Get a good deal on a laptop that is already a great one unless you're thinking of getting the 15 inch. Haswell os pretty old and the price for the 15 inch I rather spend the money for skylake than save money on a Haswell machine. Broadwell isn't that old and is on the same die as skylake since broadwell is the tick in the Intel tick -tock method.

12. jerryk macrumors 68020

I find to be too absolute a distinction. And I still stick by being cautious of buying the 1st version of any apple product when Apple changes their manufacturing process. Early Retina MBPs had issues and this might be the first MBP with the Skylake chip which caused PC manufacturers issues.

13. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

That's okay. Now you do.

14. Closingracer macrumors 68000

It isn't.... A first gen product the first gen Macbook Pro was when it was released.....these are revisions or aka a different generation of old products. I mean I could whip out a dictionary but I won't.

15. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Still isn't a first gen product as Mr fanboy wants to proclaim....But hey let's go make America great again!( Sarcasm)

16. ajay96 macrumors 6502

Just got my current one in November. I won't upgrade until 2018 most likely.

17. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I have a late 2013 rMBP 2.6/8/256

I plan on using it for 10 years, if it lasts that long while still being use-able

UNLESS

The new rMBP happens to double as a personal robot who can bring me coffee and do my laundry. In that case I will buy it.

18. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

I'm sure I will lust after the new ones but I plan to keep this one till '19.

19. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

20. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Already sold mine, getting by on my Work laptop for a few months now. I'm prepared to wait if the newMBP doesnt come out for a while though.

21. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

22. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Carry on using it it's a 2013 and still perfect for me no need to get a new one.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Odds are rather high, like 99% high, that I'll keep using what I have, which is a mixture of usage with my 2012 rMBP and SP3. I'm sure there will be enhancements in the new MBP that would trigger some level of desire on my part, but still given the cost of these machines, its not something that's within my budget. My 2012 rMBP has served me well and is still a great computer.

24. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

An iMac is the next thing on my list for computer upgrades so I'll be holding onto my MBP for awhile yet. I've got a 2014 and I like to get at least 4-5 years out of my hardware so I don't feel like I've completely wasted my money.

If Apple really blows us away then I might consider an early upgrade but my feature wish list is not something I expect Apple to pursue (discrete video and mobile SIM in the 13'' Pro)

25. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

I shall carry on using mine.