Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
My 3rd gen Apple TV is set up in the living room. That will be replaced with the 64 GB version of the 4th Gen. The 3rd gen will either be moved to my bedroom (no smart TV in there) or I'll set it up on one of my spare TVs so my kids can watch Netflix on it instead of doing that on their iPads.

What will you be doing with yours?

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
I don't really have another TV to move my ATV 3 to right now, so it might not get used for a while.

OR, sometimes I use the UK version of the Apple TV interface and it's a pain switching back and forth, so I might setup the ATV 3 to stay on the UK version and my new one can stay on the US version.

Now, my ATV 2, I should really sell for those who still want it and get a few bucks.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
ATV3 has been in the bedroom for a month. Gf has been killing the Netflix in there. Can't wait to replace the living room Apple TV hopefully on Friday.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I just bought an ATV3 last week and it's still in the box. I plan to use it in my bedroom and the ATV4 in the den.

machpost

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
I have one of each, going back to the original model. I'll probably replace the ATV2 in the bedroom with the ATV3 that currently sits in the living room. I'd love to figure out something to do with the first two.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I actually watch more tv in my bedroom. So my old one is going in the living room. New one will be in my bedroom.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
already have 2 ATV3s so will have no use for one of them.
Will probably give it to my folks for the confusion/comedy value.

We have two ATV3's as well and I was considering giving one to my parents if I were to purchase the ATV4. However, they are both absolutely clueless when it comes to tech (even though my mom has a iPhone 6). I'd be practically living at my parents house if I gave them one of our ATV3's.

Titus

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2009
I have two TVs and had two ATV 3s. I already gave one to my elderly brother and set it up for him. He loves it. I'll move the other to my bedroom and use the new one in my LR. I also have the new Roku 4 in my bedroom and a $100 gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket. I watch Pureflix (Christian version of netflix) at night and I really like the Roku.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
It really depends on if Apple continues to add new content. If not, they I will replace all 7 over time. I have about 3 or 4 of the ATV 3 and about 3 or 4 of the ATV 2 for a total of 7. I was very encouraged that they just added CBS and NBC. So maybe they will continue to support with popular streaming content. I only ordered 2 ATV 4 to start. But for sure will get a third one soon. And depending on content may get a 4th.

UhFive

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
Texas
I have one of each, going back to the original model. I'll probably replace the ATV2 in the bedroom with the ATV3 that currently sits in the living room. I'd love to figure out something to do with the first two.

ATV2 is Jailbreakable and you can install Infuse or KODI on it...I already moved mine downstairs near our kitchen. The wife loves using it to watch movies/tv shows from my AirDisk while she cooks.

Also for the ATV3 users...it isn't jailbreakable but I've read there is a round-about way of installing PLEX on it so that is cool too.

or, the pawning it off on your parents thing is a good idea...

Thrifty1

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
I use one of my older Apple TV's for a dedicated security camera system. I have a few webcams that look outside the perimeter of the house and a few inside. I also use an old iPhone or iPad plugged into an outlet and have it continually mirroring to the old Apple TV while running the webcam app. I can then switch to that HDMI input on the TV to quickly see all the security cameras if needed. I use the LiveCams Pro app. From the iPhone or iPad I can also control the pan/tilt/zoom of the cameras.

Not sure if I can post a link, but here is how it looks on the TV.

Screenshot%202015-10-28%2011.47.52.png

Here is the direct link if that image link did not work:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a9ja56sahvfwliw/Screenshot 2015-10-28 11.47.52.png?dl=0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.