What Windows for 10.5.8?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jngphoto, Nov 26, 2010.

1. jngphoto macrumors newbie

I need to install a Windows OS on Bootcamp for one small application. Any recommendations as to which version to buy and where to buy it cheap? I'm running a Mac Pro 2.8 Xenon.

I'm confused with stuff like Home Edition, Pro Edition, Ultimate, etc., Service Pack this and that...

It seems like the latest Windows is 7 and it needs Snow Leopard. I read Windows 7 can be installed on 10.5.8, but will require some hoop jumping.

I just an Windows OS, just about any at the lowest cost.

Thanks.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

http://guides.macrumors.com/Choosing_which_version_of_Windows_7_to_install

Unless you have special needs the default should always be Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

If your need is fleeting, the cheapest way to W7 it is to download the official ISO http://techpp.com/2009/11/11/download-windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links/ and install it without a product key. Works for 30 days extendable to 120 days. Otherwise, you are looking at $80-$199 for the license depending on if you buy retail full/upgrade or OEM. (The only fully license compliant one is full retail, upgrade requires a previous Windows, and OEM requires you to resell the system to an unrelated third party.)

You don't need to install Snow Leopard, but you do need it for the drivers, so you could be fully functional for $29.

B

3. jngphoto thread starter macrumors newbie

I can get Snow Leopard for $29? Or is it just for the drivers?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Snow leopard has always been $29 and well worth it.

B