what wireless card does mine take? mac pro 3,1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by j2048b, Oct 28, 2009.

1. j2048b macrumors 6502a

I have an 08 dual quad core 2.8 mac pro,

I was wondering what wireless card it takes and where i can obtain one?

Thanks

2. frimple macrumors 6502

The apple wireless card for the Mac Pro. You can obtain it from apple.

EDIT:

Sorry should have been more clear about where to get it. You can get it from apple at the store, you need to call them and they'll sell it to you. It's not a "user serviceable" part so it's not sold on the apple website. You can install it yourself (I did) but getting the antenna on is a real bugger...

You can also typically get them from re-sellers like PowerMax or OWC, you might have to call them and ask for it specifically. Also be sure to get the card for 08-09 models as the 06-07 is incompatible, or so I've heard.

3. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried apple and they said i could not buy it from them, i had to take it to a service center,

so what i was looking for was a part number? i found a few on ebay that were new and they were the full service kits, so if i had the part # then i could buy it and install it myself as you did.

thanks for the advice...

4. frimple macrumors 6502

I just called a local store and asked if they had it and if I could come pick it up, don't know if you tried a store or the big A themselves. If you haven't tried the store and it's feesable for you I'd give it a shot.

A search for part numbers turned up this 922-8233. It was from a UK site, so I guess there's no guarantee that it's the same but it should be.

Here's the one that I bought from the store for $50 @ Amazon for $90.. lol, go figure...

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Extreme-Wireless-Mini-PCIe-Notebooks/dp/B002GZ89IC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1256779871&sr=1-7

The way that I can tell the difference is the # of connectors, the older ones have 2 this one and the one I got from the store have 3. I've heard stories that the 2 connector ones work with 08-09 pros, haven't tried it myself though. Here's a link to one of those.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Extreme-Wireless-Upgrade-Kit/dp/B00101XJDI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1256779871&sr=1-4

5. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

frimple.
    thanks for the links i will have to call my local store, and by store you mean service center, or apple store?

Thanks again!!

hows the snow out there!! glad i am not home, i dont miss that stuff!

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

When I bought my computer, I bought the wireless card from the retailer; in this case it was B&H and they sell it on their website. The box even said they were suppose to install it, but they didn't.

7. DualShock macrumors 6502

The part number you are looking for is MB363Z/A.

I have the same model Mac Pro (2008 model, MacPro3,1), bought refurb, so I had to get the wireless card separately. Luckily my local Apple store sold it to me last year without forcing me to have them install it.

The trick for me was going on a weeknight, 7 or 8 PM or so. I had previously gone the Saturday prior to that day, and the store mgr was there and said "no way" he could sell it to me directly unless they installed it. Chances are, that late at night, the mgr wouldn't be there. I guess the "underlings" didn't know any better about whether or not they could sell the card.

8. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

AWESOMENESS, THATS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!!

does it have 3 or 2 attachment points? should have 3 correct?

any links to the guide to install and switch the bluetooth and wireless wires for better reception?

thanks!

9. DualShock macrumors 6502

It has 2 attachment points. The Mac Pro has 3 wifi antenna wires and 1 bluetooth wire. I had found a service manual somewhere, and it said to attach the wires numbered '1' and '3' to the card. The 'BT' wire should stay on the bluetooth card. The '2' wire should stay disconnected.

10. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

frimple a few posts back said he got the one with 3 attach points, i wonder why?

i guess if it all works then so be it!1

http://cgi.ebay.com/Airport-Extreme...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5d26b7fe02

this is one i found for a decent price?

11. DualShock macrumors 6502

The card *looks* the same as mine, but I can check the #'s written on the card when I get home if you'd like, to see if they match the pic.

The description, however, confuses me. From what I understand, the card for the 2006/2007 Mac Pro's and the one for the 2008 Mac Pro are different and cannot be interchanged. I can't speak to the compatibility of the card for the 2009 Mac Pro, as I have not researched that one.

Maybe someone else could shed some light on this?

12. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dual...

it would be cool to see what yours says on it,

i too am a bit confused as to why there are 2 different cards, we have 3 wires, and one card has 3 connectors while the other has only 2 connectors,

i need to find the guide that shows how to hook it up and it actaully shows to remove the connectors from the bluetooth and hook them up differently due to lag or something?

i will post it when found!!

FOUND:!!!

http://guides.macrumors.com/Adding_Bluetooth_and_Wireless_to_a_Mac_Pro

13. DualShock macrumors 6502

I'll check when I get home.

Odd, that guide directly contradicts the service manual.

Since I'm not too sure about the legality of posting screenshots of the service manual, I'll post the text from it. (Mods, if this is also not allowed, plz modify this post accordingly. j2048b, PM me if this happens.)

Code:
    Replacement Note: To replace the AirPort Extreme card, do the following:
    Connect the antenna wires to the card.
    • Important: Be sure to connect the wires that are marked 1 and 3 to the card; the antenna wire that is marked 2 should be taped out of the way.
    and

Code:
    Important: The computer enclosure includes one Bluetooth antenna wire, which looks similar to the AirPort antenna wires, except that it includes a “BT” label. If the label is missing, you can also identify the Bluetooth cable by its location; it is the cable that runs to the back of the computer.For proper operation, be careful not to connect the Bluetooth antenna wire to the AirPort card or any AirPort antenna wire to the Bluetooth card.

14. DualShock macrumors 6502

Apologies for the poor picture, had some bad lighting.

The model number says BCM94321MC.

That eBay one has the same model number, but a different number under the "All Rights Reserved" text. Judging by the writing on the eBay one, it looks like that card is made for the Asian market. And it has no FCC ID. Don't know if it would work in a USA Mac Pro.

Attached Files:

15. frimple macrumors 6502

Yep local apple store is where I got mine.

Lol, I love the snow, I used to live in steamboat and the first year I moved there we got 40'.... forty freakin' feet! Anyways, I just spent a few hours today shoveling out my driveway... that kind of sucked but it's worth it ;)

16. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah i am not sure as to why it says to connect certain wires the opposite of the manul? I know for a while people where getting bad bluetooth reception as well as airport card reception, and according to the link i posted it said the way the guide showed was better than the way apple did it?

weird! not sure what to make of it all?

17. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome thanks! weird it would be for the asian market, but same part # and everything?

i live in cali, what store should i call to see if they have a card or not?

i can pic it up sometime, just not sure if it needs to be an apple service center or?

thanks

18. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess i cant say i dont miss it a bit, i do... i am just a wuss now from living in cali since 2002. I eventually want to move back!!

hey what store in denver did you buy your card from? betamacs-sales from ebay is outa denver but another poster said their card'2 numbers were different than the one he purchased.

ever heard of them before?

19. frimple macrumors 6502

I got it from the apple store @ flatirons crossing.

Apple Store Flatiron Crossing
    1 W Flatiron Crossing Dr
    Broomfield, CO 80021
    (720) 479-0465

20. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Flat Irons, is that the HUGE mall? I have been there like 1 or 2 times but it was a couple years ago!

cool, thanks!

21. frimple macrumors 6502

Yeah it's the big yuppie mall outside of Boulder. We've got like 4 apple stores in the metro area though.... kind of un-nerving.

22. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

haha! my step dad always says that the people in boulder rain on you when they finally look down on you, because their noses are in the air so much!