What wireless network adapter?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by -tWv-, Jul 21, 2009.

1. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I want to get a wireless network adapter for my wireless incapable windows 7 test machine, which also has a ubuntu installation on it. I have a Belkin N+ router so I was hoping to get a low end N adapter or a high end G adapter. I would preferably like the adapter to be usb because I want it to be able to be used on multiple different computers if necessary without having to take the computer apart to get the network card out. Does anyone have a usb wireless adapter they would like to recommend or can point me to one that is worth buying? There are plenty of options at my neighborhood Best Buy but I just wondered if anyone had any input on good wireless network adapters.

A bonus would be if anyone is using ubuntu and have a wireless adapter that works out of the box that would be great if you could tell me what adapter you are using. I should be able to get it working with a little searching around for drivers but if one works out of the box without any work then that would be an added bonus.

2. ag55 macrumors regular

To maximise the benefits of Wireless N speeds, get a fast connection and the same adapter as your router make (e.g. belkin for you)