What Wireless Router 2 Buy?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AFMRPCUSER, Sep 25, 2009.

1. AFMRPCUSER macrumors member

AFMRPCUSER

I have a iMac here and since I have a good amount of hardware lying around I thought I would network this puppy and have a wireless router in line with the Ethernet to my Cable Modem. Well, the first one I can think of is a Netgear WGR614 v5. I thought about using it but I figured it better to ask what seems to work very well, is multi-port and likes Mac computers. Like to hear about your experiences..:cool:

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

People who write in comic sans should use netgear. Everyone else, Linksys.

3. AFMRPCUSER thread starter macrumors member

AFMRPCUSER

Back 2 U A. H.

Hello Jessica. Such a very nice remark from someone who should not throw stones because they live in a Glass House. Interesting that you would recognize the Font, you must have some experience with it yourself.. Have a wonderful Night darling. I'm sure someone out there must love you... Bye Bye..:cool::cool:

4. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

airport extreme base station. extremely stable and it has apple care if you have applecare on your computer. also, guest networking and dual-band is extremely userful.

5. AFMRPCUSER thread starter macrumors member

AFMRPCUSER

My Reply 2 U

Say; thank you for the quick response and information. I have an associate at work who has that model. He speaks very highly of it and it's capabilities. I think I will do a bit of Google tonight and see what the scuttlebutt is all about. TNX AGN. :cool:

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah the Airport Extreme work great, they do run a little warm but they do the job.

7. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

it's wierd but when i set my airport extreme on its side it runs a lot cooler. it's strange because it's not meant to go on its side.

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

9. gjw4u macrumors 6502

Either the :apple: Airport Extreme or the ZyXEL 660NH (allows you to turn WiFi on/off with the push of a button) would be my recommendation.

10. Buzz Bumble Guest

The main problem with the Airport is that it's expensive (and doesn't include a ADSL2+ modem that I need). :(

Instead I've been looking at the LinkSys N Gateway (which does not have gigbit wired ports) and the Belkin N modem-router (which is also expensive if you go to the gigabit version). I'll probably get the LinkSys, more because there are no gigabit capable network printers yet (at least not at the sensible price range I've been looking in).

11. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

We have the Linksis Cisco WRT160 N

I wouldn't bother with it myself again - does seem to drop the signal to my mac a fair bit, although we do live in a big old stone house and I am two floors up from the router....

12. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Netgear router here - highly recommend for reliability and quality products.

As far as font, Verdana to me is the most legible and easy on the eyes.

13. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I answered your question, don't be a weirdo. Anyone with 1/4th a mind can pick out comic sans from a lineup.

Buy linksys, or do I need to write that in comic sans for it to be clear?

15. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I've had bad experiences with Netgear and Linksys. I'm extremely happy with my current router, a D-Link DIR-655. However, I can not recommend it at this time because current firmwares are buggy and prevent users from downgrading to older versions of firmware.

If you manage to find a DIR-655 (all hardware revisions are good) with firmware 1.11 or lower, get it. It's fantastic.

16. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Relax, calderone. It's Saturday and we all have enough rule following during the work week. I don't think the world will fall apart as a result. But thanks for the advisory.

AFM, funny you should ask about the Netgear WGR614 v5. That's my router for years and it's worked flawlessly, now with latest Mac Mini, running 24/7/365. This router also works well for Pandora music service received via Samsung Bluray player with network stick in another room.

Or Linksys, per Jessica's recommendation.

17. cisco697 macrumors newbie

cisco697

i have tried them all lynksys d-link netgear, and nothing has worked as good as an extreme, for reliablilty , compatability, and range, my neighbor pays half of the internet bill. So it has paid for itself already!

18. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I'd go with the new dual band Airport Extreme.

Going to get one as soon as my old 6 year old flying saucer airport dies.
    These Apple routers are built to last.

19. trose macrumors regular

My vote goes to Netgear.

Apple's routers are great, but overpriced considering they really do the same thing as every other router.

Perhaps this is just my personal experience, but over my router-owning career I've had 3 Linksys die, and 1 Netgear that still works to this day. I feel like Netgear puts together a more "solid" router.
    Though, I haven't tried Linksys since the Cisco acquisition.

Avoid Belkin. I work tech support and it seems like I get a lot of calls from people with fried Belkins, especially considering they aren't very popular.

20. bullard55 macrumors newbie

bullard55

Airport Extreme

I have had mine for 6 months and no problems at all. I have wired and wireless i use it for. Really easy set up too:)

21. AFMRPCUSER thread starter macrumors member

AFMRPCUSER

Thanks For Stopping By..

I appreciate all of your feedback and comments. Well, on second thought, almost all, one exception; they know very well who they are. I cannot justify the Airport model based on my needs. I have two W/Routers a Cisco and Netgear multi-mode single band. I see the Airport offering a sufficient platform capable of accommodating an office or coffee shop especially with the Dual-Band included. They take care of the Wi-Fi and the 5 Gig crowd as well.. Thanks again. :cool: