What wireless router should I get??!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fonz500, Feb 10, 2008.

1. fonz500 macrumors member

I just bumped up my internet speed to 15mbps. But it only runs that fast if my ethernet cord is connected directly to the computer. I need to use a wireless router for my house though.

I have a Linksys Wireless-G with Speedbooster (2.4ghz). Are there routers that will allow my internet speed to be what it should be?????

Also what is the best router to use with a new iMac??? Don't they all come with setup discs that don't work on Mac's???? I need the router to work with my PS3 and 360 as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. ajx22 macrumors regular

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Almost any router you buy is accessible via a browser (except, say, AirPorts, which need an app), and so you won't need to install any software. The Linksys (and probably others) will come with a disk and say you need to install it. You don't. Not on a Mac, not on a PC, not on anything with a browser. Even 802.11g is 54Mbps, so it's still far faster than your broadband connection. But n is the future.

4. DarkFlash macrumors newbie

I need a new one as well. I'm probably going to get Apple's Time Capsule, but I'm going to wait until it's out so I can read some reviews on it.

It sounds great though. Solid, easy backup system, as well as a wireless router. :cool:

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

does the new airport extreme work with ps3 and xbox 360? i don't see why it wouldn't, they are 802.11n so i think that ll give you teh speed you need.

6. fonz500 thread starter macrumors member

The compatiblity with my PS3 and 360 is huge deal. I don't use the router with any laptop so I don't need any WiFi cards or anything. I just use the router for my gaming systems that are across the room. But I just don't want the router to be slowing down my internet speed at my computer. Also I want to prevent lag while gaming.

7. ajx22 macrumors regular

Your internet connection is the slowest part of the network; so no worries about the router being the bottleneck.

802.11g = 54mb/s = almost 5-times faster then your internet. Anything plugged into the router will be at 10/100/1000 (depending on the router).

There are 'standards' (ie. 802.11a/b/g) are all compatible with other devices of the same standard. 802.11n isn't 100% cross-platform compatible (yet) due to not being a standard; but 'draft'.

So long as your network is set-up with the right standard; your devices will communicate.

If you read the links I provided - you'll have some more info to base an educated decision on.

HTH,

8. elmo151 Guest

Apple's Time Capsule. due out in a few weeks. dual purpose: an excellent hi speed wi fi network and a large disk for time machine(hopefully for multiple macs)

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I have a AirPort Extreme (802.11n) myself and it works great.

But I'm gonna get Time Capsule when it comes out, it sounds awesome!

10. skd macrumors 6502

Does anybody know if, with Time Capsule, you can back up your bootcamp partition?

11. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

No it will not. It has the same functionality as Time Machine does now.

12. skd macrumors 6502

that's too bad........if apple really wants to increase it's share of the pie, they need to make it easier on us that have to use bootcamp in our work.

13. jjasonwrght macrumors member

jjasonwrght

Why don't you wire your computer to the router? Then just leave the game systems wireless.

No matter what wireless type your on, your never going to get as much speed as you can with wired. Yes the wireless supports high speeds, but the internet is still going to be slower then those speeds.

14. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Apple's routers are a joke to me - why would anyone buy a router which doesn't include a modem?

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It's a UK preference. Here, I don't know why anyone would buy a router that does include a modem.

16. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

17. jjasonwrght macrumors member

jjasonwrght

Why make your modem from the internet company worthless?
    Some people even make the mistake of buying those ones, so why make their investment useless?

18. smogsy macrumors 6502a

NETGEAR,Linksys beats any routers hands down.

netgears sort out data by order now if your gaming and ur freids downstairs on videos etc

it will put games first to help with ping :D

19. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Well buying one is better than renting one after a year or so (obviously depending on rental fee/price).

Anyway, absent a standard for the cable/dsl/fiber modem, there's not much point in building it into a router.

20. rfrankl macrumors 6502

The Airport Extreme is the easiest router you are ever going to set up.

21. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

When I read your post, I thought "huh? The AirPort does have a modem, what is this guy smoking?"

But when I went to check my AirPort (802.11n), lo and behold, no modem jack!

The older 802.11g UFO basestations did have a modem, however. I didn't even notice that Apple omitted the modem from the new AirPorts.

Shows how much I don't care, I guess...

22. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I can't connect to my DSL connection without a modem so omitting one means I need an additional piece of hardware which takes up an additional power outlet.

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

54mbps is the theoretical max, you're never going to get anywhere near that

24. MaySwitch macrumors newbie

54mbps as theoretical? I get that with my pcs and a linksys g router always. The OP must be wrong about his internet speed (or on an incredibly slow service). What N routers work with both macs and pcs (I have a work pc so need to use both), both for N speeds and backward compatability to g cards?