What women want from a computer...

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Do men not also consider how something looks before they purchase it? I think they do...

Applespider

macrumors G4
corywoolf said:
Do any women buy computers without considering the looks of it? Be honest...
Nope; but I don't buy very many things without considering the look of them. Having said that, it has to be a combination of features and looks. I wouldn't buy something that performed badly just because it looked nice but if it came down to 2 good products, the better looking one would win.

ohcrap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2005
Sounds to me like women pick computers the way men pick women. *evil laugh*

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Applespider said:
Nope; but I don't buy very many things without considering the look of them. Having said that, it has to be a combination of features and looks. I wouldn't buy something that performed badly just because it looked nice but if it came down to 2 good products, the better looking one would win.
Just like dating.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
And when it comes to laptops, I also think men subconsciously choose something that goes with their 'look' — their image of themselves and how they would like others to perceive them. It's a human quality not restricted to one gender...

Funny how many laptops look like slim briefcases, not My Little Pony accessories. :D

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Blue Velvet said:
Funny how many laptops look like slim briefcases, not My Little Pony accessories. :D
I thought the clamshell iBooks actually sold pretty well.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Blue Velvet said:
And when it comes to laptops, I also think men subconsciously choose something that goes with their 'look' — their image of themselves and how they would like others to perceive them.
...yeah, they generally choose the 15"/17" over the 12" models ;)

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Yes they do. I have many girls who will buy a PowerBook over an iBook cause of the silver color. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

jon

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
How a computer looks would be important to me too... I wouldn't want a crappy looking notebook even if it was a great machine. I think the two need to go together.

However, having said that, I wouldn't need it to match my outfit :eek:

Woof, Woof – Dawg

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
emw said:
And you wouldn't?
no... us women buy the smaller 12" models so that they fit into our handbags that match our shoes that match our outfits... :rolleyes:

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
dietcokevanilla said:
no... us women buy the smaller 12" models so that they fit into our handbags that match our shoes that match our outfits... :rolleyes:
Ah yes, size doesn't matter. I keep forgetting that.

L

Lau

I also don't buy anything without thinking of the looks of it. Really. But I figure I'm a designer, so it must be inbuilt. Either that or I'm a nutcase.

But if you're the kind of person that buys white toilet paper, with no pattern, and certainly not that piss coloured yellow, and equally not peach, and well, blue at a push, but really, white is all what it's about. You see?! If you think about that stuff, a £1000 computer's gotta look nice. ;) :D

Seriously though, why shouldn't functional stuff look good? Those computers listed above are no doubt a bad deal, because the function probably isn't up to an iBook, but the fact that Apple builds in good design to an already excellent system and OS, that's what I like. Same as when I buy a bike, a bike that runs well, and is well designed and looks good will get my money. Or a coffee maker, or a pair of shoes, or a phone.

I wouldn't put up with an attractive gadget with crap function, but I also don't see why something that works well shouldn't also look good.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
clayj said:
Hey, it's not the size of the laptop that matters... it's how you use it and how long it can run without recharging... :p
true, until you open up for an application with big tool bars.

(edit: that sounded even dirtier than i had intended :eek: )

yeah, i chose my 17" Powerbook to match the metal spurs on my boots
haha :rolleyes:

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Roger1 said:
Yep. Doesn't matter how ugly they are, just how fast they are.

<Ducks, runs for cover>
I prefer mine to be easy to use.

We're still talking about laptops, right? :confused: