What works on 64 bit

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Derkatwork, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Derkatwork macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

I have parallels 5 with windows ultimate 64 bit installed. I use windows to play my old windows games (red alert 1 and 2, CnC 1 and 2). I have been having trouble installing the games and was wondering if they can be installed with windows 7. I own the cd's, but if they won't help me do I need to look to someone else that found a way to run them?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

IMHO 4 GB of RAM, 64 bit and Parallels (or Fusion/Virtualbox) are mutually exclusive.

W7 64 bit system requirements are 2 GB of RAM minimum. For itself, never mind any applications you intend to run on it.

Either Boot Camp it, switch to 32 bit or get more RAM. Particularly if you intend to use it for games.

B

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

windows 7 + "older games" is never going to be a good combination compatibility wise - even with a native solution. i fear it mightnt help you at all. generally, if they use dx8/dx9 then your virtualisation software should have NO troubles playing them.

i think you should opt for an XP virtualised solution here.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Like XP mode on a W7 Ultimate Boot Camp install. ;)

B

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

mmnnn maybe. worth a shot. BC is a PITA though.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Crossover maybe?

B

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

now you're thinking ;) too bad support is.. well.. non existent :(

OP: what are the actual troubles you are having? does it give any errors?

8. aki macrumors 6502a

Well isn't the whole point of running something like Parallels that you can have multiple OSes for different era apps? Sometimes compatabilty mode settings in Win7 can help; but generally speaking when I set up Parallels I install my Windows 7 for new stuff and install a XP system as well for the ancient stuff.

Lot less headaches than Crossover or a real dual/triple-boot PC.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes of course but support isnt guaranteed GPU wise on the virtualised software - though it is pretty darn good :D

10. vistadude macrumors 65816

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

12. Derkatwork thread starter macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

I have no true need for windows 7. I like the improved look over XP (like the new dock-ish task bar). Should I just drop W7 and use XP since its only purpose is to run the old games? I think it would be stupid to install W7 just to run an XP emulation on it when I can just use XP. Do 'alternate' methods of playing the old games exist that are not mentioned in this forum?

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Definitely your simplest approach is to install XP in Parallels and use that.

My point was that XP mode in W7 (Pro and up, which you have) is one of the few ways to get a copy of XP that you can legally assign to your Mac today if you don't already have one.

B

14. vistadude macrumors 65816

Oops, I completely overlooked he would be using a VM to play the games. I doubt it would run well, even low end games likely won't work well in a VM.