what works with new 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by MAcNIAC, Jun 28, 2009.

1. MAcNIAC macrumors regular

Hi all,

I just ordered a new MBP 13" for my wife :D
    games are not really her thing - so i was happy to go with the integrated graphics.

BUT,

just wondering,

what games will work (3d fps i mean)
    what games will not work ? (I hate lag and would rather play something old smoothly than new and choppy)

thanks

2. ColinEC macrumors 6502

I got my 13" MBP (2.26GHz) a few days ago and have been playing Battlefield 2, GTA IV, and source-based games (Counter-Strike, Half-Life 2, etc) very well.

Pretty much any current FPS will run on this machine, although very graphics-intensive games may need to have settings reduced to smooth gameplay out (such as Call of Duty 5 or Crysis).

I run all these games at around 800x600 or 960x600. Even though those two resolutions seem low, they actually look very sharp on this display (I'm assuming because it has a lower native resolution due to the size).

3. MAcNIAC thread starter macrumors regular

4. SamtheDrummer macrumors member

See I've wonder how do you all play FPSs on the new macbook? Do you plug in a mouse, because wouldnt it be difficult to aim with the trackpad and push it in to shoot?

5. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I beat Halo on legendary with my 12" PowerBook G4 using only the trackpad and finished the game on an airplane. :p

6. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

I got the 2.2 last week, and anything I've thrown at it works great. I tried the classics such as Warcraft 3 and UT 2004, which obviously worked great, maxed out. But even slightly newer games such as Red Alert 3 and Battlefield 2 are performing very well.

On the trackpad: I often play UT 2004 with the trackpad, not having much trouble there. With the MBP I also got myself a Wacom Bamboo which I use for non-gaming stuff but also it seems to work very well with RTS games. But when I want to play an FPS 'for real', I get my Mighty Mouse.

I'm running Battlefield 2 on Windows 7 via Boot Camp, but much of Boot Camp doesn't work on Windows so my sound is bad, I can't adjust brightness, and the cooling fans are going crazy all the time.

Did anyone test the Mac version of Quake Wars? I'm really interested. Also, how well is it supported (patches etc)? And does it still require the DVD in the drive? Does a disk image work, too?

7. ColinEC macrumors 6502

By the way I installed the Call of Duty 4 demo last night and it ran very well. Maxed out all the details at 800x600 and it got about 40FPS (800x600 seems to be a sweet spot - looks sharp and runs very well).

2GB RAM. I have the stock 2.26GHz model.

8. gman901 macrumors 6502a

I was playing Ghostbusters on my MBP 13" yesterday. It played fine at 1280 x 800. I may try lowering my resolution to see if it will run even better.

9. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Dead Space runs surprisingly well. 720p with everything on high and a decent framerate.

10. MattMK45 macrumors regular

here are the obvious ones i can think of off the top of my head:

Call of Duty modern warfare
    Toca Race Driver 3
    Colin mcrae dirt
    flatout 2
    doom 3
    quake 4

and then obviously with bootcamp pretty much any game

11. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

Almost all games will run fine. Games like COD4 you can't play with more than 20 people online since it gets choppy

12. ironman159 macrumors regular

ironman159

I only play Burnout Paradise... (I don't know if it's intensive... anyone can help me?) But it runs PERFECTLY fine on medium... Anyway I'm not too serious into graphic power.. although it looks amazing and doesn't have lag. The NVidia path was the right one this time. :p

13. martynmc7 macrumors regular

Spore works fine on medium settings and the second lowest resolution! Haha, I don't game on my MBP 13" (that's what the 360 is for), but my girlfriend has now hijacked my MBP as a mobile Spore machine!

14. aphan macrumors member

Battlefield 2
    GTA IV
    Team Fortress 2
    The Sims 3

all ran seamlessly on my 13" MBP (2.53 GHz)

15. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

Really GTA IV runs great? I guess I'll buy it. :D