iPad What would a retina hd display mean on iPad ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Closingracer, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Isn't the iPad resolution already HD? And around 2k or so ? So the rumored display would be what 4k?

2. WashupDawg macrumors regular

The next step for the Air will probably be 3072x2304 (the original iPad's resolution tripled) resulting in a nick below 400 ppi. In terms of battery life and a sharp resolution, I would say that's a great compromise for a tablet.

That's probably the only thing I really like about the Retina Mini which has 326 ppi. It's just a bit more crisp than the Air's 264 ppi.

3. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

It's really better to think of the resolution in terms of @2x, @3x, assuming the screen size remains the same.

All iPads have a base resolution or 1024 x 768 in a 4:3 aspect ratio configuration (i.e. 1024 / 768 = 4 / 3). Retina devices are @2x, meaning 2048 x 1536. To contrast, "Full HD" is 1920 x 1080 (ratio 16:9) and "2k" is 2560 x 1440 (also 16:9). A @2x iPad could thus display full HD comfortably, but not 2k.

If we consider @3x (which is very likely given http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/08/ipad-retina-hd-display/), we'd be talking 3072 x 2304. This could fit a 2k movie. However, 4k is 3840 x 2160 (this really is a full HD @2x), and again it would not fit comfortably in a @3x iPad although the pixel count is somewhat similar.

4. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah I know it's not "2k" but close to it though . I think the resolution is perfect and any higher you'll need a bigger battery and would go against this thin revolution they are doing lol

5. Camoxide macrumors regular

I don't understand why they didn't call it Retina Plus

6. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Marking hype. For screens, consumers are conditioned to be familiar with the terms HD, Full HD.

7. Camoxide macrumors regular

Yeeaahhh maybe a few years ago. when phones are going to QHD and 4K you don't really want to be labeled as "only" have a HD display.

Retina HD on an iPad would imply it's only got a 1080p display so I think retina HD would be a odd choice for the iPad screen rez upgrade.

8. cynics macrumors G4

What would a retina hd display mean on iPad ?

It would mean we'd need more RAM. :)

9. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Probably so, unless Apple holds back on that again. It would mean it could be similar to the iPad 3 release: more RAM, more graphics, more battery, more weight, more thickness, but still decreased performance because of an improved display.

Are people really complaining about the iPad's resolution and ppi? Do you notice individual pixels in average use? Why do you want advanced corneal refractive retinal acuity technology in the screen to completely detonate your eyeballs?

10. maintainin macrumors member

I think its unneeded as I can't make out individual pixels on the current retina display. I just think it's a waste of power and performance but it will probably go up eventually. Hell they are already doing it on 5 and 6 inch phones.