What would be an awesome dock feature

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Qinetic, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Qinetic macrumors member

Wouldn't it be great if application icons on the dock could be stacks? Multiple internet browsers and finder windows could be easily found without spaces, expose, or minimizing and hiding all the time. Is there a way I could suggest this to Apple?

I just started using Mac OS X so coming from windows this would seem like a major step toward windows, but just Apple's way of doing it, because they would be like stacks.

I'm really having a hard time adjusting to the dock so this would be a great addition. It's hard for me to organize windows on Mac OS X so my impression of the dock right now compared to the taskbar is that the dock is inferior. Any tips on organizing windows would be appreciated.

2. Molnies macrumors member

I'm not sure I understand what you mean... Do you mean that if you have like 5 Firefox windows open you want to be able to select one of them without using Exposé? If that is the case, you already have that feature in the menu bar (under Window). This works in all different applications, including Finder for example.

Maybe I've completely misunderstood you, I don't know?

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

In the demoed version of Leopard, that's the way it was. Anything could be a stack. You could grab a handful of files, drop them on the dock and they became a stack.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The only way you will have an EASY time getting adjusted to your Mac is for you to drop your "Windows way of thinking". They are totally 2 different OS's. TBH, there's a ton of Windows users that prefer the dock over the taskbar. Many Windows users install fake docks on their desktops.

Here's the Apple feedback section. You could've Googled it, that's how I found it. http://www.apple.com/feedback/

5. Qinetic thread starter macrumors member

If you have 5 firefox windows, the firefox app in the dock should become a stack of those 5 firefox windows. The Window menu still makes it a bit too complicated. I'm just really struggling with window management on OS X so I'm trying to find any insight.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

So, you want the dock to be the Windows 7 taskbar?

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

The OP never mentioned having a HARD time getting adjusted to a Mac - this was just a discussion thread. I never read into it any complaining about anything.

That being said, I do understand the logic behind being able to stack apps on the Dock, but I use Expose to view multiple windows when the time comes.

8. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Firstly, you need to use tabs. Secondly, you need to utilise exposé. There are much more efficient ways of working than what you're describing, you're trying to design the OS around a flawed way of working instead of adapting a much more efficient workflow to match the OS.

9. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

You could always download Fantasktik. It functions somewhat like the Windows taskbar, but keeps open windows organized by app and allows you to collapse them into the application icon.

http://www.docklandsoft.com/

10. Qinetic thread starter macrumors member

I don't want to download any apps. I want OS X in its raw form so I can adjust to it accordingly. I'll manage of course, and master it eventually I'm guessing. I just don't want to be missing ESSENTIAL day to day features, so I come here and ask for advice.

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't see that as an essential feature, rather a personal preference.

Try expose, you won't know how you lived without it.

12. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

If I had to use WIndows I'd struggle with Window management too. When you get used to, comfortable and familiar with one system it can be hard adjusting.

For Qinetic I'd suggest you start playing with the Hide functionality.

Command + H — Hide this App
    Command + option + H — Hide all other Apps, show only this one

Clicking on the app in the dock brings it back. Alternatively there is a show all command in the application menu.

EDIT:
    8 years after the Dock was launched and 5 years after Exposé, the feature sets have barely been added to. I expect the OP is right and we will see some changes. Stacks for apps is a logical step. They might do something with skimming as well. Skimming is very on vogue at the moment.

13. Whiteman007 macrumors member

Why have 5 FF windows open use tabs. So you have 1 or at least 2 windows of FF.

Also I just got my first mac ever like 50days ago and when I use windows window management is killer I always try to use expose on my mighty mouse lol.

14. Molnies macrumors member

I just noticed, if you have multiple windows open in the same application, right click on the app icon in the dock and you will see a list of the currently open windows for that app (the exact same thing as the Window in the menu bar, but in the dock as well). I've used Windows since 3.1 and switched over to Mac about 2 years ago, the first thing I fell in love with was Exposé, I haven't used anything else since (well cmd+tab for switching between different apps, but that's another thing). Have you tried using Exposé for just the active application? If you have a mouse with more than 2 buttons just have the 3rd button activate Application Windows.

It's probably personal preferences, but I can't for the life of me understand why someone would like a feature you're describing instead of using Exposé...

15. MSTRKRFT macrumors regular

So are you saying if I have multiple finder windows open yo could click on the finder icon a stack would pop up and show all the windows that you have minimized?

16. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Uh, thanks for jumping on me when you are way out of line. Who said the OP was complaining? He asked for a link to Apple's feedback section, I gave it to him.
    He said he WAS having a hard time getting used to the Dock and window management in OS X. I actually offered him help by providing the link. Are you in a bad mood or something and looking for someone to pick on? :p

17. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I must have come across the wrong way - my apologies.

My intent was to approach the discussion aspect of the thread, without venturing into yet another "Windows way of thinking versus Mac way of thinking" Holy War.

Again, not in a bad mood or trying to pick on anyone - sorry for how my post came out. :eek:

18. Qinetic thread starter macrumors member

Exactly. Wouldn't it be awesome? It sure would make a great feature in an upcoming OS IMO.

19. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Until OS X fixes the window management to your liking, try setting Expose to a hot corner. I have expose activate for all windows when I place my mouse over the top right corner. Very handy, and makes the dock basically useless (I use spotlight for app launching)