What would be better for me, Im really torn now!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hodgey1989, Jun 10, 2009.

1. hodgey1989 macrumors member

Im looking at buying a MBP for uni and was going to get the mid range 15" one, but then the update came and now people are posting pics of there 13" MBP and they look really good.

Ill either go for
    2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    9400m
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Backlit Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)
    £1138.50

or

2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    9400m & 9600m GT 256MB
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display
    Backlit Keyboard (British) & User’s Guide (English)
    £1399.55

Ill be using it for a graphic design degree which will involve using the adobe suite day in day out, mainly with photoshop illutrator and indesign. I also intend to use After Effects quite a bit but not as much as the other programs.

So questions:

1. Which one would suit my needs as i don't really know how the processor/graphics card benefit certain programs?

2. Would it be better to have the 9600mGT for when SL is released to make use of Open CL or will the programs i use not be likely to benefit from this?

3. I plan on using this machine for 4/5 years. Is the 15" significantly more "future proof" than the 13"?

Lastly, i don't play games and don't really intend to.

Thanks for any help

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

1. In my opinion the 13" screen is too small for dealing with editing in adobe programs. You need room on screen for the file you are working on plus tools. It would be quite difficult to accomplish any work on that screen.

2. I would get the GeForce 9600 model. Open CL will get a greater boost from the GPU. The same goes for GPU intensive tasks in Adobe CS4.

3. As for future proof neither model will make too much difference. Once you hit the 4-5 year mark the best and worst computers show little difference because the new machines dominate them so severely. It's not like there is much of a difference between a 2004 iBook G4 and Powerbook G4 speedwise today, they are both slow.

3. hodgey1989 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.
    It makes sense what your saying about the screen size and if Open CL will benefit me when using the Adobe programs the 15" model does become the best option.
    Guess ill have one in a few weeks :)

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would go for 15", better and bigger screen + dedicated GPU