Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
I want to buy a MacBook now, but I'm not sure whether to buy a new one at $1200 with HE discount or $1100 refurb. The two reasons for that are: 1. I don't know if I will want to sell it as soon as new ones come out. 2. This will be my first Mac and I don't want to have something second hand, kind of.

So based on those two reasons, will buying a refurb hinder any of that? I don't want scratches, dirty power adapter cable, etc...

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
1. Don't buy a computer for the presumed resale value; anything can happen between when you buy the computer and when you plan to sell it.

2. Refurbished machines are indistinguishable from new ones, save for the box they arrive in and the money you save.

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
1. Don't buy a computer for the presumed resale value; anything can happen between when you buy the computer and when you plan to sell it.

2. Refurbished machines are indistinguishable from new ones, save for the box they arrive in and the money you save.

Why does it have a different model number then: FB062LL/B vs MB062LL/B. I don't want the future buyer to buy it from me knowing it was refurb.

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
London
Why does it have a different model number then: FB062LL/B vs MB062LL/B. I don't want the future buyer to buy it from me knowing it was refurb.
Apple refurbs come in a brown box, not the retail box, so the buyer will likely know anyway. If you're planning on selling it when the MB are upgraded then get a new one so you have the box (unless your fine explaining it was a refurb hence the brown box), otherwise the refurb should be fine.

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
So, you're looking to scam people basically? Nice.

No no, but most people place a negative connotation on the term refurbished, I will mention it if the buyer asks. Just as anyone else would. I don't ever see ads saying "bought new from Apple" or "bought from MacMall" etc... I'm just saying that if the condition of the notebook is as new, then I will not specify unless asked.

JesterDev

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
I think that most mac users know that buying a refurbished unit is just like getting a new unit. In my personal opinion I prefer refurbished units because they go through the "Apple's stringent quality process" twice including full burn-in testing. So instead of the once over the new ones get, they get a twice over inspection.

They also have the one year limited warranty just like new ones. Explaining that when re-selling your refurbished unit I think would make for a better sale.

I plan on selling mine when/if the Macbook is updated also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.