Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
I am going to be making a documentary and i need a good machine to import hdv, would final cut express work fine for editing that type of footage or would final cut pro be needed

also, would be buying a mac pro best for this or would an imac be sufficent and if so, which model of imac

i would probably buy one in about 2-7 months

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Final Cut Express will get the job done very well. You would save a lot of money in buying it.

A Mac Pro would be the best computer for the job. But an iMac with a 3.06GHz processor would be very good as well. I use a MacBook Pro with a 2.66GHz processor and I get great results. I wish I could buy an iMac like that or even a Mac Pro. Get 4GB or RAM or more. RAM is very necessary in the editing of film.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Thanks alot, see the thing is to get the imac to a good point would be only a couple hundred less than the mac pro

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
It should be fine if you don't mind using an older version of Final Cut. People have been working with HDV for a lot longer than Macs Pro have been around. Of course, since you'd be buying a used copy, it would be cheaper too.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
what model g5 and what video card would be best, id rather buy a g5 and a nice camera for the same price as a mac pro if i could if i did this i would just get final cut express and put it on

this seems like the more appealing option

what about an imac refurb with 8800gs also

(sorry i just wanna know my options lol)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.