What would be easier on the body / easier to carry?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Aug 5, 2011.

?

Book bag or messenger bag? For school.

1. Book bag

13 vote(s)
    61.9%
  2. Messenger bag

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Other

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. waloshin macrumors 68040

A messenger bag or a back pack for school.

So obviously books, binder.

And a 13" Macbook air.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

For my money, "easier on the body" is one you don't have to carry at all.

[​IMG]

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

The above wheeled tote is the most ideal however a backpack would be the next best thing. Most backpack manufacturers are now making their straps with some sort of bungee/shock absorbing system which helps out a bit when carrying around heavier loads.

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I'd say a backpack. The weight distribution would be on both shoulders as opposed to one.

5. Contiguous macrumors member

Backpack all the way. Wheeled tote OK too, as long as handle is adjustable to the right length. Not as ideal in crowded hallways or on steps, however.

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

backpack.

but, i use a messenger bag with ipad+bluetooth keyboard. ipad used for reading (after you digitize your books), and keyboard used for writing (but if you are like me, you might want to add pen and paper). this is all i carry. i change my murse (man purse) to a different shoulder each time i put it on, so weight ends up even over time.

books + binders + computer = potential for bad back, no matter how good the backpack is :(

7. Love macrumors 68000

Love

Wow. Surprisingly relevant topic.

[​IMG]

I carried around a backpack weighing about 35lbs for about a year, it really did a number on my back. I'd go messenger bag.

8. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

If you aren't pulling a camera out of it, then yes, a backpack will be much better for you.

A messenger bag won't do you much good either if you're carrying 35lbs in it, unless, of course, it is too small to fit 35lbs worth of stuff.

Also, I have a real hate for wheeled bags. They are not suitable for everyday life. Just this morning one sent a lady flying because the idiot pulling it wasn't more mindful of people around them.

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

What are you basing that claim on? I use one every day I go to work, and have done so for years. I'll grant you I don't use it on the weekends, but I don't have a need for it on weekends.

10. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Based on commuting in large cities. They're dangerous for people around the person dragging it, most (not all) of them bounce them up and down stairs and steps and just don't car about the people around them.

In an airport, they are awesome, but that's because there's space in terminals and people have more awareness for them. On the subway in NY and the underground in London, the stations weren't designed for them.

11. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

try looking at Crumpler bags. Their messenger bags have an additional strap that can support the weight better. I've owned a couple of their bags and they're excellent, if a bit expensive.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I see. So in a tiny little hamlet like, say, Dallas (with a population of only 1.2 million it can hardly be categorized as a "large city"), a wheeled bag riding in the back of my truck during my 40-mile commute is dangerous to those around me on the highway?

Or perhaps on my 20-yard walk from my truck into the building through the parking garage - you mean it's dangerous to the scores of people who surround me there? How many people have you actually seen terrorized, assaulted, maimed, or otherwise harmed by such a bag?

</sarcasm>

Your comment comes across as hyperbole. I think of all the things people want to scream about during their work commute, someone pulling a wheeled briefcase behind them is hardly near the top of anyone's list.

13. 184550 Guest

As others have pointed out, a book bag is easier on your back.

However, if you've only got the Air and a notebook or two, I would think a messenger bag is fine if you have a preference.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Less is more.

If you get something bigger than you need right now, sure as Hell you will fill it with some crap or other.

:)

15. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

16. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Sweet! I could use that to carry around my gaming rig!

17. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I google to please.

18. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Backpack or something with wheels- messenger bags, one-shoulder slings, or lazily putting your backpack around only one shoulder can lead to some major pains down the road.

19. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Hey Wally, Just wrap the lot in a colourful cloth, quick knot on top and carry it on your head in ethnic style.
    KGB:rolleyes:

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It would help if he had a flat head, either by Nature of via hair manipulation.

21. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

You mean like Bart Simpson's haircut, or that he has a flat head from all that 'blocking for our enjoyment'
    KGB:rolleyes:

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I think he's comparing it to New York. And Dallas is a po'dunk 53 out of the world's biggest cities.
    On a crowded New York City sidewalk, a rolling bag is a pain. In the back of your truck speeding along the Dallas highway, totally different.

Or perhaps on my 20-yard walk from my truck into the building through the parking garage - you mean it's dangerous to the scores of people who surround me there? How many people have you actually seen terrorized, assaulted, maimed, or otherwise harmed by such a bag?[/QUOTE]

You won't believe the things I've seen because of roll'y' bags. Limbs akimbo. Awful.

I think it's about application. At my 'office' a rolling bag would be useless: there's too many stairs, elevation changes, etc. to make the wheels worth the weight. And, when traveling I always carried a backpack because I think the trade-off for rolling bags just isn't worth it: they're heavy, slow, breakable, and I've yet to find one that didn't rollover at some inopportune time. However, I understand that people want to save their back and carry a lot with them.

But, I hate the things.

23. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If a rolling bag is not your thing that's fine, but the tradeoffs against a backpack that you listed don't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Heavy - yes, my bag can be quite heavy, especially if I'm working remotely instead of in the office and I'm carrying extra stuff with me. But that's why I roll it as much as possible and carry it as little as possible.

Slow - It moves at the exact same speed I do, just like a backpack.

Breakable - I can't speak for every bag, but mine is canvas, just like a backpack. I'm not sure how I would break it, to be honest; in any event, I don't see it as being any more breakable than a backpack. And I've never broken anything inside it, since I've never dropped it (being that it's already on the ground).

In any event, I was addressing the comment that a rolling bag is not suitable for everyday life because they're dangerous in large cities.