What would be smarter, MB or MBP for...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RustyMac, Mar 13, 2008.

1. RustyMac macrumors member

My fiance just order the new Black MB 2.4 late last night with her educational discount. She is a music teacher and will be using it for music, internet, school work. She has been using a old HP Pavilion ze 4300 (15") as her main computer but she is now ready to switch to a Mac. My question is, would it been smarter if she had purchased a refurbished 2.4ghz MBP for $1,649. or stay with the 2.4 Black MB for 1,399. (educational discount)?

2. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

Unless she needs the backlit keyboard, the larger screen, matte screen(possibly), or the graphics card, I don't believe there are any other differences. I was originally thinking about a MacBook Pro for the graphics as I am a gamer. However, with the purchase of my Xbox 360, which is better for gaming than the MBP, I just went with the MB. I think your fiance will be happy with the MB also.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

For the uses you described, the MacBook will be fine. It should serve as a great computer for a couple of years.

If it helps, a friend of mine is a music teacher, and has an MBP. She likes the larger screen size -- and for her that's the only advantage. The more powerful GPU and whatnot don't affect her use.

4. AreanFSL macrumors 6502

Can't go wrong with a 2.4 MacBook.. However, if you want to future-proof yourself even more and you haven't opened your box (10% re-stocking fee). then by all means go for the MBP. The way I see all you get is 2" more, <3 matte screen, QUICK graphics card, and aluminum case/backlit keyboard. BTW, I have a MBP.