What would be the best video Card for a Cube ??

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by applecube1993, Dec 2, 2007.

1. applecube1993 macrumors member

applecube1993

Well if I upgrade the video card , what should I get , I want to have atleast 128 Mb or 256. Thanx

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I don't think the video card is even replaceable. If I were you, I might get a refurb/used 24" imac (white or aluminum), as they have swappable video.

3. applecube1993 thread starter macrumors member

applecube1993

Well ya they do .. I checked it out and you can upgrade it .. ( you can take the card out if thats what you mean by replace ) haha :confused: , But whatever

4. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Ok then. If you can find another video card in the same format that is supported by the OS (agp?), go for it.

EDIT: Confirmed - it is a 2xAGP slot. So an AGP card that is "universal"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_Graphics_Port#Compatibility will work. Maybe you could put a 2600xt mobile in there? That would bring you up to speed with the new imacs.

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The best video card you can get for a Cube is a flashed PC GeForce 6200, hands down. It will handle all the latest eye candy in Leopard and runs cool.

It's a DIY job requiring some work, but worth it for the serious Cube user. Read up on it at the Mac Elite video card flashing forums and wiki - you can also download the appropriate hacked ROM files from there.

Other flashed options are the Radeon 9700/9800 or GeForce 5200. Note the caveats - this isn't a 5-minute job.

If you can't/won't do a flashed card, your options are more limited. The GeForce 3 is built specifically for the Cube, about as fast as a GeForce 5200 but doesn't support many features and is both expensive and rare. A good card if you can find one at a reasonable price. Otherwise you are stuck with the other OEM cards - Rage 128 or GeForce 4MX.

6. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

7. applecube1993 thread starter macrumors member

applecube1993