Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
Having tried Android and iOS - I must say that I no longer feel that iOS has a healthy advantage over Android. Don't get me wrong, both systems are plagued with issues. Its just the margin that separated the 2 no longer exists.

In my ideal world I would like to see iOS go back to the drawing board, from iOS 6 and incorporate some functions and simplicity in design and use (not just minimal graphics). Actually I wish iOS 6 had become what MIUI V5 became in terms of design.

What would be your hopes for the future of iOS?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm kind of happy with iOS8. I don't see a need to blow it up and start over. I guess my needs are lot simpler.

I've used Android (not the latest versions), and WP8.1 and while those had some distinct features iOS didn't have. I'd say that iOS has features android/WP8 didn't have.

To put it another way, all the mobile operating systems have their own set of strengths and weaknesses. For me, iOS strengths line up to my needs quite well and its weaknesses are mitigated by my usage habits.

Itzamna

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
The margin still exists... Taking in account that you need almost to double the specs of a Android phone to achieve the same performance, the gap is still there.

Maybe you are speaking in terms of UI only?

Plus, both OS's have their strengths and weakness, it all boils down to a matter of preference... ;)

Last edited:

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
What I love about iOS ever since the early days is that the design style is consistent everywhere. Apple does a great job of steering 3rd party developers to adopt the style of its native apps in terms of animation and design philosophy. The result is a very cohesive experience, whether you're using an Apple app or a 3rd party one. Google is doing a lot better in that front, but they're not there yet and it definitely shows when you use a low-profile non-Google app. Hopefully with the release of Lollipop, they are striving for that consistent design philosophy all over.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Ditto re: consistency with Apple and third-party apps. Also, so many great productivity apps are so cheap ...they have changed the way I work, in writing, music, photography, and much else.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Ditto re consistency. Even though I'm a new IOS user I feel the iPhone look is iconic. I don't like the look and feel of android although BB and windows I would use.

IOS works well for me and would get another iphone in an instant.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I'm pretty happy with it too. And I did both Android and Windows Phone aswell, and now that I have neither, I don't miss them.

You feel like you need everything the other thing has until you actually finally get it.

sw6lee

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2013
Just want it to be buttery smooth as pre-ios 7, or even iOS 7.1. Then I would be EXTREMELY happy I switched from Android. Now I'm thinking I made a mistake, as Lollipop is smoother than my iPad mini 2 with iOS 8.1.1. Dunno if 8.1.2 is as smooth as 7.1.2. Can't find info anywhere. I'm jailbroken, so I need feedback first..

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Having tried Android and iOS - I must say that I no longer feel that iOS has a healthy advantage over Android.

What would be your hopes for the future of iOS?

If only Apple would rewrite iOS giving it a proper multitasking system, it would be more competitive. I have nothing against iOS, yet there's a nagging feeling that based on my years as a customer, Apple can do so much better.

Side by side my Nexus 6 is so much faster because of its efficient multitasking. In day to day use it's even more obvious.

iPhones lack of a back button, no previous apps button, and a painfully slow mechanical home button as opposed to the reliable lightning fast capacitive buttons on the Nexus, well it's simply no contest.

Now that Google Play has all the top of the line Apps that Apple does, plus being well designed, the app differences of the past are gone. In fact the Google Play Store makes it easier to find what you want faster than Apple's once superior counterpart.

Google and Android have surged to the front. At least Apple is now following Google's lead. IOS is beginning to catch up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.