What would happen if itunes closed?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dingo Dave 69, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Dingo Dave 69 macrumors regular

I am buying more and more of my music, films and tv shows from itunes and watching them on appletv. If itunes closed or apple stop making appleTV what would happen to all of this content?

I use my appleTV for most of my films and tv shows and don't like the idea that if they ditch it I can't watch my programs as I like in my lounge.

Can itunes stream to other units? Can I stream movies etc from itunes to a 360 or a PS3 for instance?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I don't believe that you would be unable to continue to view the content for which you have already paid, but you would obviously not be able to get any more music or media from it.

But I could be wrong. Guys, if iTunes died server-side, would all of our purchases be rendered unusable?

3. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

As long as they kept the FairPlay authentication servers up, you should be fine. If they took those down as well, we're all screwed.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Someone would reverse engineer Fairplay, release an app to remove the DRM, and no one would be around to fight it.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

What, like Requiem?

(Currently disabled by 8.0.2)

6. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

iTunes can stream to an XBox 360, but anything with DRM on will not play (i.e. all movies and tv shows).

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

iTunes is the No. 1 music distributor in the U.S. Why in the hayull are you worried about it closing?

If such a near-impossibility happened, it wouldn't happen overnight. You could burn all of your music to audio CDs, which would strip it of its DRM. You wouldn't need to do this for any iTunes Plus songs.

I doubt Apple will stop making the ATV, but if they did, you can sync videos to an iPod and then connect that way, or you can hook up any sort of Mac to the TV.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What does the disability mean? I haven't updated because I don't know what to expect. Does iTunes just not recognize the files or does it delete them?

9. bunit macrumors regular

bunit

And the moon would sink into the ocean!!:eek:

10. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama