Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

southbark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
I recently contacted att about my iPhone order and was asked again if I wanted to switch from my Att iPhone unlimited plan. I of course said no because right now for my usage and 3 lines on my plan it would cost more then I am paying now.

So my question is after looking at your data,talk & text usage for the past year what kind of plan would have to have and how much would the price have to be per month to switch?

I looked at my plan and bills for the past year and I pay about $175 a month for two iPhones with unlimited data and a 3 rd line for my daughter.

For me I would need at least 3 lines and my iPad air with at least 40gb of data free tethering that all devices can draw from. Unlimited talk and text of course. With a price of under $150 every month.

Last edited:

syclick

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
It would take me at least 30GB shared between two phones for what I pay right now ($117-corporate discount = ~$98).

Not gonna happen. :rolleyes:

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Large pool of data (50GB or so) for the same money or less than what I pay now ($200 for 3 lines). That price would have to include either the subsidy or next installment in the total

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I dont know.
I'd say around 30GB per phone line or something for me to give up unlimited.
Right now my kids like to watch youtube videos on my phone. And within an hour or so of viewing they can blow past 1GB of data.
And then when throttled video still loads even though lower quality but still works fine and for the most part everything else functions with no additional monthly fees.
I like how Tmobile does it now. They have 1GB, 3GB, 5GB data plans and when you hit that amount you just get throttled. Not billed extra.
Also they have the $80 true unlimited data plan that you dont get throttled at all.
I'd like to see stuff like that from the other carriers. Tmobile seems to be going the right direction towards what customers want instead of just trying to maximize profit for their wallets.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It would take them throttling people at about 5 GB, thus making the "unlimited" plan not at all unlimited and completely worthless.

Oh, wait. They already did that 2 years ago and it worked on me. I never looked back.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I recently contacted att about my iPhone order and was asked again if I wanted to switch from my Att iPhone unlimited plan. I of course said no because right now for my usage and 3 lines on my plan it would cost more then I am paying now.

So my question is after looking at your data,talk & text usage for the past year what kind of plan would have to have and how much would the price have to be per month to switch?

I looked at my plan and bills for the past year and I pay about $175 a month for two iPhones with unlimited data and a 3 rd line for my daughter.

For me I would need at least 3 lines and my iPad air with at least 40gb of data that all devices can draw from. Unlimited talk and text of course. With a price of under $150 every month.

It took me realizing that we could save about 50 bucks a month if I went to a 40GB shared data plan and we combined our plans (my husband and I have always had separate, unlimited plans... mine had the kids on it, and 2 out of 3 of them were on unlimited). The most data we ever used in a single month was 30 GB of data... that's over a 2-year period.

So, now we switched and saved money.

Bonus was that we added husband's parents and his grandma (they will likely only use a GB or 2 a month, tops) and they are saving half what they used to pay to have a straight plan with no smartphones (we handed down our 1-yr-old phones to them, and they're thrilled).

I was tired of getting throttled and now I can use personal hotspot in a pinch and that's pretty cool.

Eh. It's not like I was really ever using unlimited data. I was using 5-6 gigs a month, max. And the average we used wasn't anywhere near that 30GB. It was more like 23GB.

Now? No crazy throttle after 5GB.

And saved money! Just switched yesterday. I've had unlimited data since iPhone original.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Unlimited up to 5GB then throttled to 12Kbps...I'd hardly call that "unlimited." It's essentially a capped 5GB data plan that doesn't charge you for overages.

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
It would take them throttling people at about 5 GB, thus making the "unlimited" plan not at all unlimited and completely worthless.

Oh, wait. They already did that 2 years ago and it worked on me. I never looked back.

What he said. Although the 30gb family plan for the price of 15 is what finally moved me over.

My bill is the same, I don't get throttled, I have mobile hot spot and I have two brand new phones. It was a win for all of us.

Last edited:

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Do what T-mobile did. Offer me limited plans with no overage fee but instead throttle me. Let me use my data to tether my computer too (give me a perk I don't have for getting off the unlimited plan). But, it has to be cheaper than what I'm paying now. And probably at least 3GBs of LTE data.

I honestly like the unlimited mostly so I don't have to worry about going over my limit and getting charged. I don't even use close to 5 GBs (hell, I'd probably be safe on a 3GB plan). But I know me personally, if I know that I'm limited and if i go over I'll get charged I'll get stingy on my data use and I don't really want to have to worry about my data use when using my phone. The only reason I even decided to go for a smartphone was the unlimited data (cause I know I'm a geek and I just didn't trust myself not to go over if I didn't watch).

Honestly, even though T-mobile is a worse deal for me now, if AT&T pissed me off, their plans are amiable enough to me that I'd just switch to them. I may even go for their 2 GB but you get cut off if you go over just cause it would save me money at least. As some one else said, I like the direction T-Mobile is going. AT&T better watch it cause I'm probably one of their more loyal customers (I don't even usually bother looking at the competition cause I'm relatively happy with them, yeah, I know, I'm a rarity) and T-mobile has gotten some good enough plans that I would consider them if AT&T annoyed me (or kicked me off the unlimited plan. If they do that, I probably would go to T-mobile cause what they offer is a helluva lot more enticing than any plan AT&T has right now).

Camwin

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
All of this will mean nothing in a year or so, when AT&T goes back on their throttling, thanks to Verizon ratting everyone out to the FCC.

ShaolinSteez

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
What he said. Although the 30gb family plan for the price of 15 is what finally moved me over.

My bill is the same, I don't get throttled, I have mobile hot spot and I have to brand new phones. It was a win for all of us.

This!

I gave up my AT&T grandfathered unlimited (thought I never would) and moved my fiancee over from Sprint for the 30GB shared plan + 2 lines. The bill is essentially the same and we get hotspot capabilities and no throttling. I probably average 7GB of data each month on my own and the fiancee uses only a fraction of that. The data bucket is huge and so worth it (for us).

IrishVixen

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2010
Cut my bill to less than half. Because that's what moving to TMobile prepaid at $30 is going to do.

As a single line customer with a 23% FAN discount, AT&T literally has nothing to offer me that lowers my payment by more than $10 a month--if that. Since I use *maybe* an hour a month of voice, get around 5 non iMessage texts a month, and still haven't topped 1 GB of data/month in the last year, my current setup is overkill, and AT&T is making out like bandits on my account even with the discounted price I pay. I've run the numbers several times; combining my husband's phone & iPad service with mine to use a family plan would cost us even more per line than we're currently paying, for less data. It's silly, but short of pulling together with far flung relatives or friends (which would be a nuisance not worth the savings), it just doesn't make sense economically for us to change our current plans just to stay with AT&T.

Except for the cost, I'm perfectly happy with AT&T, and don't really want to switch. But they don't offer anything better suited to my needs; I've checked every couple of months and nada. Even TMobile's basic $50/month deal (and they have still cheaper ones that aren't well advertised but also aren't hard to find) is $15 cheaper than AT&T's current least expensive individual line option--which tells me that AT&T isn't interested in attracting or holding onto single line payers.

It's kind of a bummer--I've had 14 perfectly good years with them, and since 2007 with the iPhone--but it's the direction the market is moving and that's just the way it is.

NoHo

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
A couple years ago when AT&T discounted your bill by $5 to go to a tiered plan, everyone was like, "I don't use 5GB anyways! Sure, I'll save $5."

Sure, you weren't going over 5GB then, but I bet you are now when we have everything streaming.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
Do what T-mobile did. Offer me limited plans with no overage fee but instead throttle me. Let me use my data to tether my computer too (give me a perk I don't have for getting off the unlimited plan). But, it has to be cheaper than what I'm paying now. And probably at least 3GBs of LTE data.

the $80 t-mobile unlimited plan does not throttle at all. except for wifi hospot, sigh

Last edited:

CYKBC

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2014
I absolutely love tmobile unlimited.

I pay $80 with tax every month. Free intl text. Data at 3G. I used 80gb last month. Tmobile didn't flinch.

Thank you tmobile!

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
Had they offered the 10gb Mobile Share Plan as part of the doubling promo, I would have switched right then and there.

bxpyddelfel

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2014
They already did that 2 years ago and it worked on me.
10n.jpg

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
30 to 50GB for $30 with tethering, unlimited talk and text thrown in.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I was hoping to hear more from people who are still on the unlimited plan and what plans they'd like to see in the future, given that's what this post is about. Switching to any other plan will be more expensive for me at this point.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Okay, ATT, do this:

Give me tethering/spot on our two ipads so I can stop paying for them.

Give me hotspot for my PC so I can stop paying hotels, or use on the side of the road if I need it.

Stop charging me extra every time my daughter goes over 2gb on her phone.

Let me give some of my unlimited to other users.

Do all this for $100 less a month.

Wait - you already did this? I am saving $1500 or more a year. Yea!

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Nothing could make me give it up. I'm grandfathered in on my iPad mini for the unlimited data plan from AT&T. I use 60GB a month sometimes and pay only $29.

I'd never give up this plan.

Tekzilla

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Shoreham, NY
I would need to save money for me and the wife.

I use about 5GB of data on my 6Plus and she uses about 250MB on her 5, so we would need 10GB I guess, maybe a little more to ensure no overages and It would need to be less than what we pay in data right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.