Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 7, 2015
Curious if Steve was still around what he would have done differently with this product, assuming Apple would have pursued Vision under his leadership of course.

For me I think they would have had some clear tentpole features that everyone knew, a bit like then iPhone was introduced you got an iPod, Phone and Internet Communicator. They seem to be throwing everything and the kitchen sink at these but without 3 or 4 clear and well thought through use cases. The closest they came was your own personal cinema when flying, which takes great advantage of this being very much a single-user device, but then you realised it's paired with 2 hour battery which is shorter than most films. Not very convincing.

Immersive photos also seemed good but then they showed someone taking them with the headset on, a headset that you are likely to not be walking around outside in. Had they demoed this as the iPhone taking immersive photos you can then relive when back home, and time travel back to in the future, that again would have been a more convincing feature.

What do you think Steve would have done differently?

Last edited:
Reactions: klasma

OW22

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
He would have presented this in front of a live audience for one. Because he was brilliant at that, and Tim just cannot do it, and that's why we're stuck with these slick but soulless presentations we now have. That's the power of a CEO, because he can't do it; nobody is allowed to, even though Craig would be superb in front of an audience.

Steve would have made sure someone like an Architect would have come onto the stage and demoed how he can use the VP to bring his designs to life standing in front of a blank space on stage. Or a civil engineer showing how a design for a bridge or building can be envisaged with this device. Steve knew practical demos were essential and he was usually the one who did them and was confident to do them.

And there would have been some laughs no doubt with Steve face-timing Phil Schiller on the headset!

btw, sorry about Leeds going down.

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
He would have scrapped this demo if they didn’t have them ready to sell in a month or two.

He would have released a new iPhone that has more lenses to take 3D photos/videos. Or figured out if the LiDAR sensor could automatically simulate a 3D photo with AI filling in some pixels.

The software does look good, but I think he would have done a bit more about it.

I can understand getting rid of the mouse and using your eyes, but the keyboard is going to be tough to do spreadsheets or some other things with just your voice. And I assume that this is for single people who only will use this alone at their house/hotel so talking to yourself doesn’t look weird. Maybe there could be a virtual keyboard that shows up for your virtual hands to type on?

He would have priced it at $4,500, but say that it is available to start at $3,500.

Disney was good to get on stage, but Canon has a new 3D lens that should be used to virtually travel the world to different events. Events should be an app just like their podcast app. Concerts, sports, tours, celebrations, and different locations around the world.

I also wonder about games like a copy of Beat Saber and other “fitness” type of workouts. I could see this being great to use on an exercise bike with a fan to simulate bike rides in far off locations. As long as the roads are straight so people don’t try and turn on their stationary bike. ;) Work with Peloton to create rides around major cities with no vehicles and no red lights or stop signs. They have the Nike coaches on their running app, but with this headset and a treadmill, there could be virtual runs with the coaches. I would think that Yoga classes could happen in far off places too.

Last edited:
Reactions: zakarhino

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I think Steve would have definitely wore the device on stage himself. He probably would have axed the awkward father taking the birthday party video, and come up with a better example to demonstrate 3D photos/videos.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Sure. That or a backpack. But it’s still a dongle, which is what xxFoxtail doesn’t want.
Well, it has to be a dongle, or the battery has to be on the head somehow. Even Steve couldn't change the rules of physics!

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
Steve would have never let this thing out of the bag without having had this in the hands of at least 10 real people that could relate their real experiences with the product to other real people. This lingering question of what exactly this thing is for would have been answered in 10 very different human ways that would resonate with a wide demographic. He never would have let the technology stand on its own, there would be a clear demonstration of worth to the liberal arts, sciences and humanities.

Reactions: rcappo

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Steve would have never let this thing out of the bag without having had this in the hands of at least 10 real people that could relate their real experiences with the product to other real people. This lingering question of what exactly this thing is for would have been answered in 10 very different human ways that would resonate with a wide demographic. He never would have let the technology stand on its own, there would be a clear demonstration of worth to the liberal arts, sciences and humanities.
Steve didn't need 10 real people to come up with use cases that resonate with a wide range of people, he was able to come up with that on his own. That was his true genius, and unfortunately, it seems he wasn't able to teach that knack to Tim Cook or other executives still at Apple.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 7, 2015
I can understand getting rid of the mouse and using your eyes, but the keyboard is going to be tough to do spreadsheets or some other things with just your voice. And I assume that this is for single people who only will use this alone at their house/hotel so talking to yourself doesn’t look weird. Maybe there could be a virtual keyboard that shows up for your virtual hands to type on?

You can use a paired mouse and keyboard for more detailed work. And yes there is a virtual keyboard you point at if just using the headset on it's own

Reactions: rcappo

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
iTools > .Mac > MobileMe > iCloud > ?

There is only one logical next step as we crest the dawn of spatial computing: MySpace 😂

blue2noise

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Curious if Steve was still around what he would have done differently with this product, assuming Apple would have pursued Vision under his leadership of course.

For me I think they would have had some clear tentpole features that everyone knew, a bit like then iPhone was introduced you got an iPod, Phone and Internet Communicator. They seem to be throwing everything and the kitchen sink at these but without 3 or 4 clear and well thought through use cases. The closest they came was your own personal cinema when flying, which takes great advantage of this being very much a single-user device, but then you realised it's paired with 2 hour battery which is shorter than most films. Not very convincing.

Immersive photos also seemed good but then they showed someone taking them with the headset on, a headset that you are likely to not be walking around outside in. Had they demoed this as the iPhone taking immersive photos you can then relive when back home, and time travel back to in the future, that again would have been a more convincing feature.

What do you think Steve would have done differently?
I really like Tim but this made me miss Steve

Reactions: Night Spring
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.