Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
OK, so let's say that Apple does go with the 970 (hopefully :D), what will they call these new PowerMac's? "PowerMac 970" sounds kinda stupid (well, I think it does). Will they call it the "PowerMac G5" even though it's technically not? Will they call it the "PowerMac Extreme?" What do you guys think?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: What would the 970 PowerMac's be called?

Originally posted by RBMaraman
Will they call it the "PowerMac G5" even though it's technically not?
Apple was the one that started the Gx naming scheme because people were getting confused with the 601, 603, 604, 604e, etc. naming schemes.

Since the 970 would be the next generation PowerPC CPU used in a Mac, why not call it a G5?

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
I think PowerMac 970 is a decent name. If they use PowerMac Extreme I hope whoever's responsible for it gets run over by a truck. G5 is pretty likely too, although it raises the question of what they'll call the 7457-RM (Assuming it's ever made, and assuming Apple uses it. It would make a fantastic consumer chip).

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
ok correct me if im wrong here, but IBM latest G3 chips are still called G3 chips, they arent Ultra G3 iBook, or sahara ibooks.

the bottom line that IBM produces the G3s so they are called the G3s and since moto is doing very little to step up with a next gen chip, all moto chips will be just called G4s

they can use the leftover G4 chips in iMacs or even ibooks before the IBM chips trickle down to the consumer level.

Tyler

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown

what will they call these new PowerMac's?
Pentium Killer.

:D

I don't think there's anything wrong with the PowerMac 970.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
apple will not go back to a complicated numbering system-- they want their products to have simple names that are more of titles. simplicity is everything. that combined with apple's numbering system already in place, it'll definitely be G5.

unless they decide to go totally wacko... but i don't think they'd change it anymore than intel would change their product name system--

pnw

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
I'm going with the G5. Keeps things nice and simple, and it's become more of an Apple thing than a Motorola thing, so it would make sense if it's the G5. I'm sick of seeing Sony Vaio DXM-7898 or Windoze XP 6.982.7861.4861.0473.5250.... :rolleyes:

irmongoose

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
G5 is really the most logical way to go, since the names are made up by Apple. By no means is it only the 5th generation PPC processor. But it is the 5th generation on powermacs.

Either that or they can just call it "ÜberCompu-tron"

Noc

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002

Will they call it the "PowerMac Extreme?" What do you guys think?

Apple should take some hints from the veritable masters of branding sequels to popular products, Nintendo and Capcom. Some possibilities:

Super PowerMac
PowerMac II
PowerMac Ultra
PowerMac Hyper
PowerMac 64
PowerMac Championship Edition
PowerMac Professional
PowerMac Turbo
PowerMac 2003
Motorola vs IBM 2: EO

Or any combination of the above naming schemes. ex: Super Ultra PowerMac 64 Turbo Championship Edition.

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Since it is the 5th generation in this line of chips, it is genuinely the G5.

Not sure why people would think "it's technically not." The first chip using the Gx scheme was the G3--a chip that was significantly different from its predecessor. Not sure why they would go with a different naming scheme now.

Chris

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I think it should be called the G5 to vindicate those of us who have been waiting for "it" for so long. Oh, and to go "nyaaaaaaayaaaaaaayaaaaaaaayaaaaaaaaaaaayaaaaaaaaa" to those who said a "G5" was never coming out :D

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Re: Re: What would the 970 PowerMac's be called?

Originally posted by Noc
Apple should take some hints from the veritable masters of branding sequels to popular products, Nintendo and Capcom. Some possibilities:

Super PowerMac
PowerMac II
PowerMac Ultra
PowerMac Hyper
PowerMac 64
PowerMac Championship Edition
PowerMac Professional
PowerMac Turbo
PowerMac 2003
Motorola vs IBM 2: EO

Or any combination of the above naming schemes. ex: Super Ultra PowerMac 64 Turbo Championship Edition.

LOL! Very funny. I say Powermac 64 Champion Editon Hyper Turbo. And dont for get the ' in Japan. :D

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
@Noc:

if they did that they would - like - get market share. :D

anyways i like the sound of
Super Pentuim Killer Power Mac 64 :D
it think that pretty much sums it up

@samsflagdrummer:

Apple has never revived a product. Its all about image. I would like a cube now (DP1Ghz+Slot SD+DDR333+120GB SATA). but ... oh well.

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
I have this sneaking suspsision that with the recent push into the enterprise, and the [I think] likelyhood that Apple will want to have a 'workstation' class machine for the uber high-end video/3D/other markets, the name may very well be:

'Xmac'

But I still like keeping the Gx moniker, go with the 'G5' or maybe 'SuperMac G5' and still have a 'PowerMac' line.

I dunno.

:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.