What would the minor refresh mean for the large refresh

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bohnje, Oct 20, 2011.

1. bohnje macrumors newbie

I have seen several articles on this site indicating a possible minor refresh for the MBP, at this point I would plan on waiting for the ivy bridge refresh either way. What I'm wondering is if apple does offer a minor refresh is this going to push back the date for the major refresh? I don't expect anyone to actually know just wondering what has happened in the past.

Thanks!

2. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Since Ivy Bridge is releasing ~March, it might be possible that a small bump could be used to push the release date to ~May.
    This is unlikely, because Apple has first dibs on these new processors.

3. saback macrumors member

"As noted by Tom's Hardware, Intel announced during its earnings conference call this week that its Ivy Bridge platform has entered volume production, with the company expecting to begin deliveries to computer manufacturers by the second half of this quarter."

4. some idiot macrumors member

wouldn't make a lot of sense for a minor processor speed update to delay a huge new development in computing.

they're trying to attract holiday shoppers by offering something a little better than they currently have. they're going to attract people with the new design due to cutting-edge technology. cutting-edge technology isn't as fascinating if you sit on it for 2 months.

5. hafr macrumors 68030

This does not mean that you will see computers using these processors by the second half of this quarter. I'd be quite surprised if we'd see these processors on the market before the beginning of Q2 2012. The manufacturers need to get the processor, try it out properly, then begin production. It's not like Apple would have tons of computers ready to just pop the processor into and then ship.

6. some idiot macrumors member

intel's already manufacturing them, so why could Apple not get a hold of them to prototype their new design and be prepared for large-scale production around the same time intel is ready for it?

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/20...turing-ahead-of-spring-2012-product-launches/

7. hafr macrumors 68030

Are you asking me why it always takes a while for products to contain new processors after they've started manufacturing them, or are you questioning the fact that it does?

I don't know why, but I know it does.

From your link: "It will, however, take some time for Ivy Bridge to make its way into shipping products, with Intel's partners shooting for a Spring 2012 debut."

8. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

That happens every year. Apple releases a new lineup the same day Intel makes its press release about the new processor. That would obviously require Apple to have early access to the chips. Then a few months later you start to see releases from all the other players after they've had time to design their systems.

Don't forget, Apple and Intel are real cozy.

9. hafr macrumors 68030

Okay. So please remind me again, when were the Arrandale i-series released and when did Apple release their first MBP lineup with these processors?

And also, how come "other players" had products with these processors out before Apple?