Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pc2mac2011

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Would I be able to connect an external hard drive and back up my data at 10g/s for example??
If that's the case I'll be happy to buy a mbp and make the switch!

oakie

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
seattle
you dont have much of an option until a third party starts making lightpeak compatible accessories... of which there are none who have publicly committed as of yet.

i'm sure someone will make an announcement at intel's press conference tomorrow.

Pc2mac2011

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Well thanks for your reply. They saying it will support high speed I/O what does that mean?
This thunderbolt thing is so confusing to me why would u need to connect a screen or a keyboard using that!

oakie

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
seattle

Well thanks for your reply. They saying it will support high speed I/O what does that mean?
This thunderbolt thing is so confusing to me why would u need to connect a screen or a keyboard using that!

seriously?

just think about what i had typed for a moment.

you asked if you'd be able to connect an external drive to it. and yes, i'm sure you will... but i, nor anyone else, can say that as no one makes a drive for it right now. no one has even announced committing to making one. i said to wait until tomorrow when intel makes their official announcement and there will likely be partners that will then announce support for the new connector. but until then, there's nothing available, or even announced, to use this port.

ExnomenDei

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2010
The first use of the Lightpeak/Thunderbolt port will likely be for iPad. If you plan on getting the new one soon, it might be worth it.

Aside from that, no uses yet. I expect the port will get popular at some time, but it won't be soon.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
iPhone, iPad and iPod touch will be the first ones to get these features.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
it will mean nothing to the average user. just like firewire.

it looks like apple won't be implementing usb3.0 any time soon.

Pc2mac2011

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011

ExnomenDei said:
The first use of the Lightpeak/Thunderbolt port will likely be for iPad. If you plan on getting the new one soon, it might be worth it.

Aside from that, no uses yet. I expect the port will get popular at some time, but it won't be soon.

You r right didnt think about that!

I don't know why people are complaining about the new specs I mean a jump from c2d to sandy bridge i5 is huge + thunderbolt! I don't really care about graphics I use ps3 for games!
Anyway I can't wait to buy one!! :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You won't need a thunderbolt interface for mouse or keyboards. It comes into play for hard drives and devices that require high bandwidth.

Like the other poster stated, nobody has any compatible devices out yet. Since many companies have committed to USB, its too early to tell if light peak will be a commercial success or not.

egglybagelface

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
Having the Thunderbolt port be the same as the mini display port makes absolutely no sense. It's safe to say that one would use Thunderbolt when using an external harddrive, being tethered down to a desk, in most cases when you're doing something that labor intensive (video editing for example) you'd also be using a larger monitor WHICH USES THE MINI DISPLAY PORT!

So, what? Use Thunderbolt with the external and deal with the small screen, or use the minidisplay port for the monitor and use the external on the sloooowwww usb connection. Seems like a dumb move.

HOPEFULLY this is just going to be a problem with the 13". Like how they combined the Audio In and Out in the previous generation. If the 15" and 17" have this combined Thunderbolt/Minidisplay port, the thing is totally useless for any real pro uses.

C01E

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2009
Thunderbolt to the adv. user is going to mean that crap android phone by HTC...

(Unless apple out markets the term, Then HTC will be pissed! :p)

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
So lets say if I am producing music and some of my extended sound libraries are on an external hard drive, if it is conncted with Thunderpower, it will be faster access reaction times compared to USB/FIREWIRE connected hard drives?

Like if I try to demo my sample in Ableton or something?

C01E

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2009
Go troll somehwere else. :)

How is that a troll? HTC had the name first, And as an owner of MANY HTC products I know they suck...

HTC has been advertising the BAJESUS out of the Thunderbolt online, in TV ads, and In print ads, So apple will have a hard time taking back that brand and making it their own (as they love to do.)

Go attack people somewhere else.

vectus

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
Thunder
characters_bolt.png

skidmarc

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
Having the Thunderbolt port be the same as the mini display port makes absolutely no sense. It's safe to say that one would use Thunderbolt when using an external harddrive, being tethered down to a desk, in most cases when you're doing something that labor intensive (video editing for example) you'd also be using a larger monitor WHICH USES THE MINI DISPLAY PORT!

So, what? Use Thunderbolt with the external and deal with the small screen, or use the minidisplay port for the monitor and use the external on the sloooowwww usb connection. Seems like a dumb move.

HOPEFULLY this is just going to be a problem with the 13". Like how they combined the Audio In and Out in the previous generation. If the 15" and 17" have this combined Thunderbolt/Minidisplay port, the thing is totally useless for any real pro uses.

Maybe someone will make a Thunderbolt hub...

If this is implemented in the MBP, I'm going to say it is pretty stupid. A lot of people use USB so why not make use of a USB 3.0 port that is backwards compatible with some earlier versions of USB and (SuperSpeed) clocks at 5 Gbit/s. This would seem more usable. Light peak cables will probably be expensive as well unless they use copper instead of optics.

zer0sum

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2008

Yeah...I am sure apple didn't think about that before implementing such a radical solution :D

Thunderbolt will rule for people that actually use their MBP's for work involving large data transfers, VM's, photo/music/video editing rather than just web/email/facebook

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
I believe it will eventually allow users to drive 2-3 external monitors with a newly created adapter.

I know that's one of the perks for lightpeak (if you've seen the demonstration videos where it can drive multiple external monitors without much effort).

Benjamins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
What about he HTC Thunderbolt?

I personally think that this is just another one of Apple's silly ideas. USB 3.0 will have mass produced accessories and Thunderbolt will be left out...

Kind of like Blu-Ray vs HD DVD

Both Lightpeak and USB3 are Intel's technology.

What do you think when even intel thinks USB3 is not going to fly.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It seems people are forgetting the current limits of hard drives. SATA II, which is the bus used on most modern hard drives, has a max speed of 3.0Gps. SATA III, which was just finalized sometime last year, has a max speed of 6Gps. And even then only the very top of the line SSDs need anything faster then SATA I, which maxes out at 1.5Gps. Light Peak has a max speed of 10Gps. Thus, Light Peak drives will be no faster then eSATA drives.

Benjamins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
It seems people are forgetting the current limits of hard drives. SATA II, which is the bus used on most modern hard drives, has a max speed of 3.0Gps. SATA III, which was just finalized sometime last year, has a max speed of 6Gps. And even then only the very top of the line SSDs need anything faster then SATA I, which maxes out at 1.5Gps. Light Peak has a max speed of 10Gps. Thus, Light Peak drives will be no faster then eSATA drives.

it's like debating the benefit of using a scsi printer over a parallel port printer.... -_-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.