What would work best for a 13" CS4, (or hopefully 5) machine

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by chris7777, Mar 22, 2010.

1. chris7777 macrumors 6502

We are seriously leaning toward going totally digital on our artwork for our i-phad applications.

We heavily use photo shop, and illustrator and flash(or whatever we can get that we can string our stuff together into animation) [nothing major just probably stringing together a sequence and then exporting it as a non flash mac friendly movie file].

And all things considered financial as well as portability we are leaning toward either the macbook (at $800 from micro center) or the 13" mb pro, refurbished, unless they release the icores when they release ipad.

the thing is the macbook maxes out at 4 gigs of ram, vs 8 on the pro.

Would 4 be enough? I am leaning toward the pro because it maxes at 8, but I really don't know if its overkill or not. We are working on several different i-phad applications, and currently using cs2 on xp.

We just have to be careful with our money but we also don't want to shoot ourselves in the feet by being too cheap.

If we have to, we might could swing a 13" and a 15" ,if it would make that much of a difference to have a discrete card.

portability is essential, we would love 27' imacs around the board, but external monitors will have to do until we can afford bigger and better.

If ram is most important and anything above 4 gig would make a big difference then we will get it , but 2 $800 macbooks are pretty tempting even if they are maxed out at 4 gigs each.

thanks for any insight anyone might have to offer.

2. GeraldButton macrumors member

4GB of ram is perfectly fine for running Adobe Photoshop CS4, Illustrator, and flash, and it will probably be the same for CS5, although running them all at once with large projects running at the same time might slow you down a little. Maxed out at 4GB is not a bad thing, but it would be nice to have the option to add more down the road so as for the next version which we could call CS6 right now you'd still be safe. Even so im willing to bet the requirements for CS6 will probably just be slightly high than what they are now and will be for CS5.

Right now Im running Adobe CS4 Production suite on 2GB of ram and it preforms quite well, although After Effects will get sputty quick but that's to be expected especially with all what I throw at it.

If it where me personally though id aim for a desktop, because desktops, even the new iMacs can take much more ram, with the iMacs now able to take up to 16GB. But I can understand if you need a laptop for portability.