What would you charge to convert documents to html?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by X1Lightning, Mar 6, 2008.

1. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

I have someone asking me to convert their writings to html for them, they want minimal formatting. what would be a fair price for that per page?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I'd say $.25 per page. It would just be easier to turn them into PDFs so it is harder to repurpose, and would require almost no work.

TEG

3. X1Lightning thread starter macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

not sure why but they feel they need the docs in html, its not even going on a web server......

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

What, they didn't like the HTML produced from Word? he he ;)

Depending on page length and number of documents, I'd say anywhere between $.10/page to $1.00/page, or $10/document to $50/document. Depends on how much they're willing to pay and if it's for someone you know or not. I do this type of stuff in my free time with no one paying me, but it's only for me.

5. X1Lightning thread starter macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

Yeah i guess they didnt like that, lol
    i don't know them at all, they were just Refereed to me by someone i did some work for.
    I have no idea even how big this document is, but they said it was kinda big.

6. digitalField macrumors regular

I say just set an hourly rate for yourself and run with it. An hour of your time is an hour of your time regardless of what your doing it. So determine what your time is worth, and charge for it!

M!

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I second hourly. With a minimum half-hour charge.

It could be as easy as opening the document in Word and exporting to HTML. Or you could be slaving over <table> tags and converting thousands of images to JPGs. If you haven't seen the document, you don't know how long it will take.

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But if it is a big doc you might want to see if they need indexing or searching :D

Stick with the hourly rate, but find out more about what they have you doing. Don't give them a price with out them telling you how big the thing is.

D

9. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Hourly - I've had to tangle with tasks like this and sometimes you run into little tiny problems that area easy to fix but add a minute or two to each page, thus your total time on the conversion will grow exponentially.

10. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

It would be a good idea to ask them the intended purpose of the documents, before proceeding with an estimate.