What Would You Choose? (Air/Pro)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheLuckyOne01, Jun 27, 2012.

1. TheLuckyOne01 macrumors newbie

My Choices:

:apple:MacBook Air 2012:apple:
    -2.0GHZ Core I7
    -8GB RAM
    -256 GB SSD

:apple:MacBook Pro:apple:
    -2.9GHZ
    -8GB (Will Upgrade to 16GB For No Other Reason But To Have It.)
    128GB SSD UPGRADE

I will also be getting an iPad as a companion device. This will be used for Medical School (Veterinary Medicine). I will be studding abroad in Grenada (West Indies).

Thanks For Any Help.

D.

2. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Check out this thread, same question, different area of study: Air vs Pro

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I would choose the Pro, and put in the upgrades that you want myself instead of purchasing through Apple. Apple's RAM and SSD prices are pretty exorbitant compared to what you can get and install by yourself. This would also allow you to swap to a larger SSD eventually if you need to.

4. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

I've been saying for a year now that if I could get an Air with 8GB RAM I'd do it. Now Apple has gone and confused the issue with the Retina MBP. Now what I want is a 13" retina MBP! Oh well, maybe next year...

I would say that if you can live with 128GB on the Pro, you can also live with it on the Air. I don't know what you will have to do in studying Veterinary Medicine, but the 2 GHZ vs. 2.9 GHz CPU different is probably not very important.

if you go with the (non-retina) MBP, I would agree that going 3rd party for RAM & SSD Updates is best.