What would you choose the Macbook or the Macbook Pro if

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hogfaninga, Aug 21, 2008.

1. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

you had these options(this is for a buddy-he can't decide). I'm sorry if this question has been asked, but I'm trying to be specific and I didn't find it in search. Also I know it depends on what my friend would use it for, but throw that out the window and just assume you want the best system for the money. Consider these options as a package. Which package would you choose?

Here are the details. Thanks.

Option #1:

New Macbook white 2.4 Ghz 4GB 250 GB HD(same as I have :))

Time Capsule 500GB

Free new iPod touch 8GB

Free Printer

He will be using bootcamp with XP SP2 installed.

He will buy directly from Apple online.

Option #2

New 15.4" MacBook Pro Glossy Screen - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 2GB Memory, 160GB Hard Drive Notebook(this is the older model as you know-not the Penryn, but the one before that one)

Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54GL

Refurbished iPod touch 8GB(bought at Apple online)

Free printer

He will be using bootcamp with XP SP2 installed.

He will buy the Macbook Pro from Macmall and the iPod touch refurb at Apple online on this option.

These 2 options fit in his budget and are within $10 USD of each other.

Thanks for the answers in advance. I know it kind of depend on his usage, but he will be using it for college and just wants the most bang for his buck. I don't want to give him bad advice.

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Hardly a fair comparison. Does he want the best computer, or the best overall package?

If he wants the best computer, then the better unit spec for spec is the MBP.

If considering the entire package, I'd go with the group that includes the MacBook. The TC is way better than the Linksys router, and doubles as an external drive for backups. A new iPod Touch from Apple vs. one refurbished by a third-party reseller? Give me the new one any day

3. hogfaninga thread starter macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

He would buy the refurb iPod touch at Apple online. I should of noted that. Sorry.

I'm talking about total package. Once again I should of been more clear.

I made the changes in my original post to be more clear.

4. divinemercy macrumors regular

Unless he is going to be doing considerable amounts of video editing, or just has some crazy MBpro fetish, then i would CERTAINLY go with the first option. Overall it is a MUCH better deal.

Besides, the macbooks are so much cuter than the Pros :p

Also an interesting note: You mentioned he might get a wireless router... If he wants to, he can use his macbook as a wireless router to use his timecapsul with! I just found out about this yesterday, but if your macbook is connected to the cable internet or whatever you can change your internet settings to use the macbook for your wireless router (thereby giving internet wirelessly to other computers, printers, ipods, or the timecapsul). Just a note. ^^

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

MBP has plenty of features that makes me want it over MB so much:

- screen (big and good)
    - graphics card (awesome for Aperture and gaming)
    - KB backlight (super useful in low-light surroundings)
    - alum. case/overhall design (I vastly prefer it to plastic and not-so-beautiful MB)
    - operates quieter.

So as you might have guessed, I'd get the Option 2, but with AirPort Extreme instead of TC/some linksys, or even AirPort Express. (I can't stand non-Apple routers :mad: (

6. hogfaninga thread starter macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

The router I mentioned above(in my original post) is about $65. I'm sure he can add another $84 and get the AirPort Extreme(student discount it is $149).

Does that change things as far as what package people would choose?

7. Moks macrumors member

I'd go with the Macbook + 500GB TC - seems a much better overall package. I like plenty of storage (for music & movies).

8. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

I'd personally go for Option 2, the Macbook Pro.

He can always get a Time Capsule later, versus switching out a Macbook for a Macbook Pro after he realized he needs the better video card/bigger screen etc. would be much harder.

Like some of the posters above mentioned, he can just buy the Airport Extreme Base station, and use that. If he wants the "Wireless backup" capability of the Time capsule, I think he can just buy a 500GB External HDD (less than $100 nowadays) and plug it into the Airport Extreme Base Station's USB port, and use it as an "Airdisk" for wireless backups, just like a Time Capsule. (someone correct me if I'm wrong please, I'm planning on buying an Airport Extreme Base Station + 500GB External HDD just for this "wireless time machine feature myself :) ).

New ipod Touch 8GB and Apple original refurb is almost the same. Both have a 1yr warranty from Apple :)

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Definitely option #2. I don't know why people are saying option #1 is a MUCH better deal. I don't see anything better about option #1 other than Time Capsule, and I'm not completely convinced it's a good thing to own. I'd rather have an Airport Extreme with an external HD attached to it. Need to upgrade harddisks? No problem, just buy a new one. Or have two HDDs. If the HD in the time capsule fails, or the wireless isn't working for some reason, you don't lose 2 things. You can send Time Capsule in to get it repaired, but again, you lose 2 things.

Things like the MBP's RAM and HDD capacity can be upgraded later. It's a lot more difficult, and expensive, to upgrade from a MacBook to a MBP later.

Also, there's probably nothing wrong with the refurb iPod Touch. It's likely as good as a new one, and if it wasn't, it wouldn't be sold on Apple's refurb store.

10. Rtb1 macrumors member

Rtb1

i would buy the macbook package, with 2 gigs of memory, and an airport extreme and save the extra money.

11. muldul macrumors 6502

Go with option one, unless he needs the laptop for gaming or photo/video editing

12. belunos macrumors member

Only system, no desktop or anything? MBP all the way. The extra peripherals are nice, but honestly only the laptop should be considered here.

13. elitree macrumors newbie

My choice would be option #1. Time Capsule is the main difference for me.

Personally though, the MBP graphics card and backlit keyboard are things I wouldn't need. If the purchaser had any interest in either of those, no question they should should choose the MBP.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

#2. Time Capsule is crap. It's slow and it's slow.

15. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

Option 1, but I'd wait until the new macbooks drop, that way you have a better processor and graphics for the same price!:cool:

16. Expired macrumors newbie

If you need the power of the graphics chip that the MacBook Pro gives you, then get that. If not, option 1 is way more appealing.

17. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

18. hogfaninga thread starter macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

WOW.

I would of guessed most would of chosen #2.

What if he gets the AirPort Extreme in Option #2. It would only cost him $85 more than Option #1.

He could always add more RAM and an internal and/or external HD really cheap later on.

I'm not trying to convince him to choose #2. I got Option #1 for myself and love it. I just want to be able to tell him with confidence which option is the best value for the money.

Thanks for all the replies. Please keep them coming.

19. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

best system is option 2. it is a "pro" computer. the ipod, printer, etc, wont make a dent in the overall system performance. the although, i would use a N router for better internet speeds, maybe a hybrid of the two packages? like make stuff refurb, but choose the second option for the computer? a hybrid makes more sense. you got a weaker system with brand new and overload accessories, or a better system with weaker accessories like the G router, when all macs now use N. combine the two, get the best of both worlds, like boot camp does with osx and windows.

20. hogfaninga thread starter macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

That is why I will push him to spend the additional $85 and get the new AirPort Extreme N if he chooses to go with Option 2. He gets the student discount which makes it $149.99(minus the $65 he was going to spend on the G router--thus the $85 more).

21. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

22. hogfaninga thread starter macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Why a refurb on 2? It is new already from what he told me.

23. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

refurb is cheaper... same quality but cheaper

24. hogfaninga thread starter macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I let my friend look at this thread and he has made his decision for better or worse. I want to thank everyone for their help. He is without a computer right now and I'm helping him.

He is going with the:

1. New 15.4" MacBook Pro Glossy Screen - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 2GB Memory, 160GB Hard Drive Santa Rosa

2. Logitech V470 Cordless Laser Mouse Bluetooth

3. Case Logic 15" Reversible Sleeve for the Macbook Pro

4. Refurb iPod Touch 8GB from Apple

5. New Airport Extreme N

6. Free Printer

7. XP SP2 Home Edition installed(bootcamp) before he gets the Macbook Pro

8. Upgrade to 4GB of RAM

He will get all of this for under $2,300.

I think it is a good deal even if it isn't the current generation.

I told him to buy the Applecare for it and he will early next year.

Thoughts?

25. MajereXYU macrumors regular

To the OP:

You did not post a cost breakdown but I will venture to guess that the 250GB HD and 4GB RAM from option #1 is added directly by Apple.

Apple charges a really hefty premium for the BTO upgrades so I would consider buying the RAM and HD from a third party (e.g. NCIX in Canada or Newegg in the USA or any other retailer you like).

4GB (2x2GB) of DDR2-800 RAM (SO-DIMM) will run you about $80 (compared to $200 to get it from Apple) and the 250GB option is $100 extra from Apple. For the same $100, you could buy a 250GB HD from a third party and an external 2.5" S-ATA enclosure, put the Macbook's 160GB HD in the enclosure to use as a Time Machine drive and use the 250GB in the Macbook.

The non-pro Macbook's HD is user-serviceable so it's really easy to change.

That would drive the cost for option #1 way down.

Personnally, I would get the Macbook with the third-party upgrades, an Airport Extreme, the "free" printer and the free iPod Touch. For Time Machine, I would either use the external 2.5" HD or a 500GB HD hooked up to the Airport Extreme (even though it is kind of slow, but that only matters for the first 1:1 backup...).

The only downside to this option is that you lose the dedicated graphics.
    Honestly, if you don't plan on gaming and you don't do any intense video/3D editing, the MB is a really powerful machine. CPU-wise and RAM-wise, it's not really far behind the MBP. What you lose is the backlit keyboard, the better and bigger screen and the enclosure (though some prefer the MB's).

But the upgrades really make a difference in the price. Also, remember that for the printer and iPod Touch, you need to pay for them upfront (plus taxes) and then get the rebate check in the mail several weeks later. So "free" is kind of free.