What Would YOU Do? 1200 cycles, battery health tanking, '12 rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ahheck01, Jul 6, 2015.

?

How would you proceed? (see post)

1. 1) Magical Ritual

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2) $213 Apple Tax

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. 3) $350ish to upgrade

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. 4) Other method

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ahheck01 macrumors 6502

My 2012 retina Macbook Pro 2.3 16gb has been an absolute workhorse for the last 3 years, and it still is. The problem is that the battery is really starting to crap out after 1200 cycles. I was at 78% last month, now at 62% battery health, and the computer just randomly sleeps once it's below 50% life, and I can't get it to wake back up without plugging in the power cord. I'm a freelance videographer/photographer, so keeping it plugged in 90% of the time is not practical.

So what would you do, if trying not to invest a ton of money into an old laptop?

1) Perform some magical ritual to restore the life of the non-replaceable battery

2) Shell out $213 (after tax) to have Apple replace it

3) Sell for as much as possible ($1100? $1200?) and buy used late-2013 rMBP ($1500) [Net ~$350 after eBay fees]

4) Eliminate frustration via a more traditional method

2. c55 macrumors regular

c55

Replace the battery - that computer isn't old at all. You don't need to spend any money on a new one. I'm not sure about the 2012 models, but the 2013 models are ridiculously easy to replace the battery. I mean, it's only unscrewing some screws and unplugging the battery from the computer. Batteries can be bought anywhere just about, iFixit sells them for like $100.

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I would replace the battery, wait on Skylake then upgrade, no one is going to be happy paying $1K + for a Notebook with a dead battery, that they then have to replace for $200 plus.

Bottom line change the battery, then decide, if your using your Mac for a living it`s a simple calc...

Q-6

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

It`s a Retina MBP, so changing the battery is not so easy as it`s very solidly glued to the tip case, equally It can be done with some care.

Q-6

5. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, Apple use copious amounts of glue in the 2012 model. iFixit couldn't even get the battery out with their experience and tools. They feared they would puncture the battery and risk severe injury. So that option is out. When apple replaces it, they replace the entire main aluminum frame - where the palms rest, the trackpad, etc. That part is $500+

Going rate seems to be $1250 for my model on eBay. Someone who doesn't need the portability as much as I do may find it a great deal to save $100 in exchange for a weaker battery. At least that's my hope if I go that route.

If it is a difference between replacing the battery on this one for $220 or getting the late-2013 (Thunderbolt 2, Haswell, Iris Pro 5200 + GT 750M, +1hr battery) for an extra $130, that seems easy to me. Though I'm open to more feedback.

6. Queen6, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

It`s down to you, equally a portable computer with a basically dead battery is effectively useless. Fairly shortly the battery will fail catastrophically and start to swell, it`s not like you can avoid changing the battery. Change the battery and be done with it, the other option involves screwing some on else for a system on the brink of failure, a fair price would be around $900 with full transparency.

Q-6

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I choose magic.

If that doesn't work replace the battery. Go with a genuine option (as you've listed) over third-party. The other options sound too complicated if the computer still fits your needs otherwise.

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Just pay apple to replace it, the battery has served well by the sounds of it for 3 years.

They are consumable items and need to be considered in your computer strategy, as this seems to be your livelihood you should budget to replace them every 3 years or budget to replace your computer one or the other.