what would you do [27" iMac i7]

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JMartin23, Dec 28, 2009.

  1. JMartin23 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2009
    #1
    I currently have the 27" i7. It was beyond perfect for the first week and then began flickering. I took it to the apple store (waste of time) and they installed the firmware, which as you all know does nothing.


    Since I have the case number established, how long can I hold on to this flickering machine before I send it back for a replacement? I want to wait until I know the issue is fixed before swapping them out. I'd hate to get a replacement now, wait 2 weeks for them to ship it, and it have the same problem.
     
  2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2009
    #2
    Phone Applecare and make sure they have it on record that you're not pleased with the machine, but want to wait until the screen issue is fixed until you get a replacement. If they have it on file, they should have no problem doing it for you. However, if you don't bother telling them this, they probably won't be very cooperative, say 6 weeks down the line when you say you want your machine replaced. :)
     
  3. JMartin23 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2009
    #3
    right.. i have the case number with all the notes of the multiple calls I have made to them, so its definitely documented.

    you think i should actually phone them and tell them that i'd rather wait until the issue is resolved before getting the replacement?
     
  4. Editor- macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2009
    #4
    To be honest it is up to you to make that call. But to give you an idea: I have an iMac with 8 broken iSight pics and a rising noise of the hard disk, nothing so annoying or obvious as your flickering.

    It took me quite some time for me to realise that a 2000€ machine should not annoy me in any way and should be totally PERFECT. If you can miss the computer, which I can, I would send it back ASAP.

    I asked for my money and will make an order around March, when everything is better than just almost perfect. I do not want to put extra water in a cup of coffee that is so pricy
     
  5. JMartin23 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2009
    #5
    you think it'll take that long? I was thinking that the issue would be fixed by mid january..

    i've already paid for the computer and if its going to be replaced, then why not use it while i have it? If i sent it back tomorrow, i'd be computerless for close to 3 weeks. And the chances of that replacement being 100% is probably unlikely. So if i keep this computer until mid january or until i know the issue of the flickering is fixed, I might as well.


    PLUS everything else about the computer is perfect. So maybe it'll just be a software update that can fix it all. *crosses fingers*
     
  6. gb1631 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2009
    Location:
    PNW Puget Sound
    #6
    I have an i7 and also took it to the Apple store rather then return it. They tested it and couldn't find anything wrong; however, ordered a new screen and cable. ( I really don't think they found anything wrong with the ones in the machine; however, thought replacing those parts might fix the issue.)

    When I called them prior to the Christmas holiday, to see what was happening, they said the parts were going to take awhile to get there and perhaps I would like to pick it up, after they installed the 'firmware' fix that had just come out. (It was the day it came out.)

    I decided that would be a good deal, to see if the firmware fix worked over the Holidays; as I knew nothing much would be happening at the store.

    So, I brought it home and didn't see any flickering or blackouts for awhile; however, they have started once again! So, the fix didn't work on this machine.

    Today, I ordered the three year iMac Applecare package and placed a call to the Apple support technician, I had worked with prior to taking it into the local Apple store.

    He hasn't returned my call yet. I don't really want to send the machine back and risk getting one with the same problems or some other problem, that people are having with this model computer.

    I do; however, want to make it very clear that I am still having the 'flickering/blackout' problems and I want it fixed!

    I dread having to take it back to the local Apple store, as they are in a Mall with no close parking to the store, which is in the interior of the Mall. Maybe with the Applecare package I can demand that they come to my place when they get a known fix for this 'flickering/blackout' problem.

    I don't really think Apple has got a fix for the problem at this time. Which is another reason I'll hold on to this one until they do.
     
  7. gb1631 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2009
    Location:
    PNW Puget Sound
    #7

    Well, the Apple technician called this AM and I told him that the firmware fix didn't work. He wanted to know about the Apple store and what happened there. (He said he was the one who told them to order the new screen & cable.) They of course, had canceled the order when I took the machine home.

    So, he called the Apple store and they will order the screen & cable and call me to bring the machine back when the parts are in.

    I asked him if Apple had identified what the problem was with those machines that were not fixed by the firmware update. He had no answer; however, thought that the new screen and cable would fix the problem. (I sure hope so!)

    I'm getting rather tired of hauling this 30+ pound monster back and forth to the Apple store! I'd like to get the repairs done while I wait, but I'll have to wait and deal with the Genius bar for that! (I have my doubts that they will work that fast.)
     
  8. JMartin23 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2009
    #8
    yeah, lugging this thing to the mall (25 minute drive) and then having to carry it all the way in (since parking is no where near the apple store) is not fun.


    i'm going to request the advanced replacement that the managers offer (even though it wasn't offered to me.. my other thread informed me that they do do it)

    maybe you should try the same.. i'd rather have a brand new computer than just a new monitor, tbh.
     
  9. gb1631 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2009
    Location:
    PNW Puget Sound
    #9

    I don't think the Apple stores have the i7 in stock yet. The only way I'd get a new one is if they send me one and I test it and transfer all my stuff to it before I returned the old one.

    The bottom line is that I think Apple will sort these all these problems out and will satisfy all our expectations with these machines in time. I just hope, I don't drop the machine and demolish it before they do, carrying it back and forth and up and down my entry stairs.
     
  10. JMartin23 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2009
    #10
    yeah, i'm in the same boat man.. i have the i7 too so in order for me to accept a replacement, i'd like to get the new one and make sure there aren't any other issues first. But, I want to wait until I know they've corrected the issues, because this computer was perfect for a week before the flickering started.

    So once I find out here, or through apple that the flickering has been fixed, I'll request the replacement.


    But, fingers crossed, I'm hoping that the fix can be a simple software installation or something lol... we can all dream.
     
  11. gb1631 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2009
    Location:
    PNW Puget Sound
    #11

    Today, I watched an old movie real time from 'Netflick' (A Bridge to far.) one of my favorites and didn't get a flicker! Nor have I had one today! (Holding my breath!)

    This is the first time I have watched a Netflick this way, as it only works on 10.6. I liked it!

    No calls from the Apple store yet! Actually, I hope they don't call until the Monday after the Holiday!
     

Share This Page