What would you do ? Air 8gb, 2.0,256 SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by whoknows87, Oct 10, 2012.

1. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

Just had to cancel a killer deal for an Air 13 , 2.0, 256 SSD 8GB RAM for a pretty awesome price from a 3rd party retailer , I got to the details of the item it's an open box refurbished therefore it's not eligible for AppleCare and you only get 90 days from this retailer and no additional warranty can be purchased, while it was a great deal I had to Cancel , it's too risky being that it is open and refurbished if it craps out I will be out of luck... would you take the risk?

2. tiwizard macrumors regular

I've never bought Applecare for my Macs-- only for my iPhone, because that also covers accidental damage (for a fee). Never had an issue before.

3. whoknows87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

the price was a bargain $1300 for the specs mentioned, what worried me is that it was open box and refurbished ..

4. tiwizard macrumors regular

If it's a physical store, you could always inspect it in store (as long as you can return it if there is a defect). Of course, that won't help if there are no returns or whatever.

5. TheRichboy247 macrumors member

It sounded really tempting. Did you inspect it? I got my Air discounted and brand, spankin new.

6. whoknows87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

its a reputable online store, the best they could do is 90 days and it is not eligible for AppleCare, they do offer a 14 day period, I was really tempted but with no eligibility for applecare or any type of warranty its really a gamble, its a refurbished open box, makes you wonder why it was returned in the firs place

----------

very lol, I will go ahead and go for base +8gb ram and have a peace of mind knowing that its new and can purchase AppleCare if I wanted too, thing is with the Air not a lot of parts are user serviceable parts

7. wolfpuppies3 macrumors 6502

Why two posts in the same forum on the same question?

8. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

What is the retailer since you're passing on this offer?

9. whoknows87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

it was from MacMall if you are willing to take the risk go for it lol I opted out I need peace of mind

10. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Thanks. Someone must have bought it already....lol

11. tiwizard macrumors regular

Well if it was MacMall, it appears they have a 15 day return policy. You could always inspect the machine and then return it if there's an issue.

12. whoknows87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

yeah they did mention that, but then again only 90 days warranty after that you are on your own... logic boards and other components can fail without warning I would've taken the risk if I could open up the Air myself but nope, another thing i thought about lets say that it did fail within the 1 st year it might be eligible for a flat rate out of warranty repair usually 300+tax? I should've went ahead with the order inspected the laptop and provided apple the serial number maybe applecare could've been purchased, I contacted apple and they told me without a serial number they cant speak on the warranty status, MacMall could'nt provide me a serial number, oh well I went ahead and ordered the base+ 8 ram wouldve been nice to get a few upgrades worth 400 for only a 100 more

13. m0no macrumors regular

Why not just get a refurb with the same specs from Apple for $1450?

14. jbiz macrumors member

where do you even see that?