Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
I am sure what the best choice is ,but i am looking for a second opinion.

Should I :

1) Keep my running 1995 Plymouth Neon No rust at all, perfect body, just had head gasket changed and head planed. But has a small leak in the manual transmission. 135,000 kilometers on the car.

2) Buy a 2005 Pontiac Wave 5, for $8000. Has 81,000 kilometers, 5 speed,heated mirrors, spoiler, loaded, Power everything, sunroof... but is starting to rust near the back doors.

3) Buy a 2005 VW Golf TDI, automatic(boring) with autostick. diesel (tdi), heated seats, side impact airbags, abs, amazing body shape no dents, scratches nothing. Beautiful interior. 153,000 kilometers on the car. For $10,999.

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
I hate spending even a single cent on anything car related, so if I were in your situation I would keep the car you already own. If there aren't any serious problems with it, why waste money on a new car?

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
I'd keep your current car. If you simply must get yourself another car, get the VW.

But how much would the maintenance be? I hear the timing belt must be changed every 40,000 miles. My brother and I have changed timing belts on gasoline cars , but never on a tdi diesel would it be harder?

chstr

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
its a buyers market. get the wave and support american economy. (since I only buy german you can take up my slack)

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
A 2005 car that starts rusting is either of crappy quality or hasn't been properly mantained (like washing the underbody from time to time if it's in a place where they need to salt the roads in winter).
Either way, buying American no matter what just to make a point is... well... not a good idea.

A well mantained diesel car can, on the other hand, easily do in excess of 250000km before starting having troubles. Of course it all depends of the usage it's seen (city and small trips will use the engine much faster)

Keep your current car unless you really need to change it.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
- You don't want to buy anything that's rusting. Rust's a pain. You could try that inhibitor stuff you paint on it to prevent it rusting more, but I've never found that it works. In addition, the areas where the rust was are left black and it's incredibly hard to finish over. Best bet would be to cut out the offending bit and finish, or get replacement panels. Rust = cancer for cars, IMO. So no to that one.

- Manual is what driving is all about. It sounds like you keep your cars for a while so you'd lose this for some time. Plus, it's got more miles than your existing car (although VW engines are good for it).

I'd keep your current car and save for a house.

AppleMatt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.